Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Labeling your work (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labeling-your-work-t67366.html)

Terrippy 09-29-2010 04:05 PM

I hand embroider my labels on all gift quilts. On my own quilts that I am keeping I always trace one hand of each of my grandchildren along the border and hand quilt it right along with what ever pattern I am hand quilting. In the palm part I include their first name and how old they are. It is just such a sweet reminder of how quickly they grow and how old they were when I was making a particular quilt. I read the idea from an antique quilt article I was reading a few years ago when I first started quilting.

fireworkslover 09-29-2010 04:14 PM

I make a label for every quilt I've made, even a raffle quilt. I think it needs to be on the quilt as part of it's history. It should include the name of the person/s who pieced it and quilted it (if different). Also the name of the designer of the pattern as well as the title of the quilt. I also include the month and year it was finished, town , state and if made for a specific person or event include that too. I've recently seen where people have included if it's won any ribbons at shows or at the State Fair.
I use Pigma pen or a Textile Marker pen. Instructions for heat setting the ink are usually on the packaging. I use a light colored cotton fabric or muslin. If you iron a piece of freezer paper to the wrong side, you can easily print on the right side . Also you can draw lines on the dull side of the freezer paper, which if this is held up to a sunny window, you can see thru, in order to write your info. on the label, while holding the fabric on the window.

quilterella 09-29-2010 11:25 PM

I never labelled them at first, I didn't really think about it. Now I label each quilt with the Name of the quilt, the date it was completed, my name and if it is appropriate, I'll add alittle ditty (verse) depending on who it is going to. But I agree with the previous posts, it is sad to loose the little piece of history each quilt represents because we didn't label the quilt. And for the label, I always make a prototype block to see how it goes together, and I usually use that block for my label, usung Pigma Pens to write with.

Cuilteanna 09-29-2010 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I know some one will be appaled at my response , but here goes. I NEVER put a label on my quilts. It just seemed to me that by doing so it implied it would be around after I am gone. I refuse on the grounds that I want the quilt "consumed" in my lifetime by the people I lovingly made it. Not to sit on a closet shelf and have the next generation say "oh this is another one of Crazy Aunt Lori's quilts.. what do we do with this one!".
Even though many of my quilts are intricate and very labor intensive... all the more reason to have the recipient "consume" it.

I only label quilts that are given for a special occasion. Otherwise I just write my initials and the date in an inconspicuous place with a pigmy pen that won't stand out. I don't have children, so the "future generations" argument doesn't apply IMO.

Cuilteanna 09-30-2010 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
with a pigmy pen .

Apparently Apple's spell check has never heard of PIGMA, LOL. And dh is off work distracting me so I didn't catch it in time to edit!

QuiltswithConvicts 09-30-2010 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
Okay, so far I've heard people use their embroidery machines to make labels, or permanent marker (that I've heard isn't all that permanent). Is there any other types? Do you order labels? Wondering about hand embroidery. Or any other options?

I only use Sharpie Markers. They were originally designed as a laundry marker, so you Mom could write your name in your underwear when you went to camp. :D

However, you MUST heat-set any marker, including Sharpies.

I use the finest tipped Sharpie and write on the front of the quilt - "K. Mills 2010" or whatever year it is/was/will be. I usually find a place on the lightest colored fabric somewhere near the center and along a seam line. I write very small.

Of course, I will put a label on the back if it's going to a show. I will sew it into the quilt on 2 sides when I'm stitching the binding on. Then there are only 2 sides left to hand stitch. I will iron small strips of WonderUnder to those edges to hold it in place until it's stitched down - no pins to stick & stab! Not that I'm worried about the quilt being stolen or anything, but if someone is willing to throw bleach on a quilt at Houston - you never can tell. I can always make another one.

applique 09-30-2010 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Before I had my embroidery machine, I did some in Cross Stitch, and I have also used a Laundry Marking pen - I think they are more permanent than some other types.

Laundry marker on the sleeve for me, quick and easy.

JoyVoltenburg 09-30-2010 04:56 AM

I always make a label. I used to mark with a pigma pen, but found that those tended to fade after multiple washings, plus my handwriting isn't perfect. So, now, I print my labels on fabric with my ink jet printer. I iron freezer paper to the back of the fabric to stabilize it, then run through the printer. Make sure there aren't any loose threads. Here's an article on how to do it:http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/imagefabric.html . I have also taped down the freezer paper/fabric to a piece of paper and ran that through (when the piece of fabric was too small). I usually print the label on a piece of copy paper to gauge the placement before I run the fabric through the printer. Afterwards, you just iron the label to set the ink.

JoantheQuilter 09-30-2010 05:08 AM

Oh, yes! Please use your NAME and NOT initials when you label your quilt! As many of the ladies have said...how sad when a quilt is found and no name is attached. I always add my full name, city and state, if the quilt is machine pieced, appliqued, quilted or otherwise, the name of the person who machine quilted it, and THE DATE it was finished. Also, if it is made and given to a loved one, I add their name as well. That does not mean you want the quilt stored in the attic...it just means if the quilt lasts past your life then future generations will know who made it and for whom. By all means, label your quilts. :thumbup:

fireworkslover 09-30-2010 05:54 AM

After further thought and hearing that Sharpie markers fade as well as PIGMA pens, I might use my embroidery on my machine to make my labels from now on. I just got a new Husqvarna Viking 875 Quilt machine last Sat.