Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Labels on charity quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labels-charity-quilts-t273817.html)

Dina 12-29-2015 05:34 AM

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your comments. For the moment, I am going to continue adding this label.

Dina

ManiacQuilter2 12-29-2015 09:59 AM

When I do charity quilts for the foster kids, no labels are allowed. I prefer making quilts anonymously. It is just the way I feel.

salemrabbits 12-30-2015 04:40 AM

I put a label on a donated quilt and was fortunate to have the mom that received it for her twin baby contact me with a personal thank you. I live in NY- she lived in FL. I have stayed in contact with this family for 5 years now, they have moved to CA.......that "baby" is like the granddaughter I don't have (yet?)....I send presents to those girls when the mood strikes, they are getting rag quilts for their birthdays this year. and only my name was on it, not an address- so this mom really wanted to find me--I'm so glad she did! I have made many for the organization I sent this to, and this one was the only one acknowledged.

marymay 12-30-2015 06:03 AM

I always put a label on my quilts. I say " Made and Quilted with love, my name and town I live in. I have donated quilts to be auctioned of to the cancers runs, etc. I think about 6 different charity's. Its always nice for them to know who made the quilt.

fivepaws 12-30-2015 06:18 AM

Your full name? Never. Washing instructions? Yes.

thread mess 12-30-2015 07:00 AM

I embroider 3 small red hearts onto the edge of every quilt I make, wheather it is a charity quilt or a gift. The hearts symbolize my 3 kids (the heart of my life). One day, someone will recognize all the hearts, and I will have created a new mystery of the world to be solved!:p

Maire 12-30-2015 07:04 AM

If your full name on charity quilts makes you uncomfortable then don't do it. I prefer just using my 1st name and the year, fiber content & washing instructions (all are 100 % cotton & machine wash & dry) For friends/relatives I use full name, information. Of course those quilts could end up in a charity bin someplace also. But I feel comfortable doing it that way.

jmarko 12-30-2015 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 7416287)
I am considering donating some quilts to a local woman's shelter. In the past, I have put labels on my charity quilts, but now I am wondering if that is such a good idea.

What do most of you do? The label I use is a very small one, but it does have my full name on it, not my city or state, it just says "Pieced and quilted by Dina __________. Not a good idea? Or is that okay? My charity quilts are probably all over the place with my name on them. I tend to give to Red Cross and a local child advocate shelter, plus I have donated quilts to Hurricane Sandy Victims, Oklahoma City tornado victims, and other such disasters that tear at my heart.

Should I change my label, leave it as is (I bought 100 of the ones I have been using, have about 40 left), or leave a label off?

Thanks for any input.

Dina

I put my name and quilt guild name on an Honor Flight quilt and the gentleman who received it sent a donation to our guild to buy more fabric to make more quilts.

Sharonquilts 12-30-2015 08:09 AM

I haven't labeled any of my quilts. I have thought about making a label that says "From my heart and hands to you" with just my first name. Maybe add city/state. For historic purposes, labeling is best ... so maybe I should give that some thought. Hmmm.

madamekelly 12-30-2015 08:11 AM

Since I am known all over the Internet and all entertainment sites as "madamekelly" that is what I put on any charity projects. My financial sites have no connection to madamekelly, so I feel safe using it. Madamekelly is my alter ego, and she is a crazy old bat who chops up fabric to sew it back together. Lol!