Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Labels on charity quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labels-charity-quilts-t273817.html)

Dina 12-28-2015 04:27 PM

Labels on charity quilts

I am considering donating some quilts to a local woman's shelter. In the past, I have put labels on my charity quilts, but now I am wondering if that is such a good idea.

What do most of you do? The label I use is a very small one, but it does have my full name on it, not my city or state, it just says "Pieced and quilted by Dina __________. Not a good idea? Or is that okay? My charity quilts are probably all over the place with my name on them. I tend to give to Red Cross and a local child advocate shelter, plus I have donated quilts to Hurricane Sandy Victims, Oklahoma City tornado victims, and other such disasters that tear at my heart.

Should I change my label, leave it as is (I bought 100 of the ones I have been using, have about 40 left), or leave a label off?

Thanks for any input.

Dina

orangeroom 12-28-2015 04:34 PM

I don't see why you wouldn't have them on. I think it's alright. It's very nice that you donate to charity that much! Good for you!

beaqltr 12-28-2015 04:44 PM

I think it is okay to add your label. Since the groups you donate to have not advised against it, you should continue to label them.

Jeanne S 12-28-2015 04:47 PM

I never label a charity quilt. Guess I just don't want my name on something that I don't know where it will end up. I don't think there is anything wrong with labeling them however if you want.

Boston1954 12-28-2015 05:10 PM

Yes, definitely! A hundred years from now, somebody is going to want to know the past of a quilt. Help them.

GingerK 12-28-2015 07:02 PM

Well, maybe the next time you order labels, you might go with something like 'pieced and quilted by Dina' no last name. Sorry but I would not want my whole name out there. These days that might be too much info.

Dina 12-28-2015 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 7416426)
Well, maybe the next time you order labels, you might go with something like 'pieced and quilted by Dina' no last name. Sorry but I would not want my whole name out there. These days that might be too much info.

This makes sense. Thanks.

Dina

Knitette 12-29-2015 03:28 AM

Although I understand your concerns, I think you're worrying unnecessarily. Our hyper vigilance is a sad reflection of the times we live in.

You have no idea where those quilts will end up - probably with grateful people who will have much more to worry about than Googling 'Dina ______'.

Even if an abusive partner were to see your name, it's unlikely s/he would seek you out. As you say, you don't put any information such as city or state.

I live in a small community and donated a raffle quilt to the local school. I haven't had anyone call me asking to make them one (but then again maybe no one liked it ;):D).

ckcowl 12-29-2015 03:35 AM

My labels always contain fiber content ( 100% cotton top, bottom. Dream poly batting) as an example. and care instructions, so I think labels are very important. I also include my name, city, state and year.

ctyankee 12-29-2015 03:57 AM

I know our local Quilts of Valor only allows first names. When a quilt is finished, everyone present gets to sign her first name to a label. That's it.

But I don't see anything wrong with a label containing your full name. These quilts go all over & no one knows where the quilt originated. And there may be someone out there saying a little prayer of thanks to Dina ______ !