Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Labels on quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labels-quilts-t20127.html)

Shemjo 05-14-2009 02:54 PM

When gving information on the label, please use your real name, first and last, because it WILL matter in the future. "Grams" can be a whole lot of people, and when handed down, those identities can be lost! In laws and other people DO forget when removed physically from the person making the quilt. Other information might be helpful if it is more specific also! :?
There might be more than one Aunt Sharon in a large family circle! :?

littlehud 05-14-2009 03:19 PM

I haven't put labels on any of my quilts. I always said they were for family so they didn't need them. After spending time on this board I realize I was wrong. I have started labeling all my quilts.

Mousie 05-15-2009 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kara
I put a label on every quilt. I generally use a fabric from the front. Sometimes copying a shape in the block, or from the quilting.

Example: Pinwheel block with leaves in the quilting. Made a leaf shape out one of the fabric from the front. Appliqued to the back. Another quilt had fish in the quilting, used a fish for the label.

I always include my name, who it's made for, and date completed. And if I have named the quilt, I'll add that, too. If it's quilted for you by someone else, you may wish to add that.

Sometimes, I add other little "doodlings" to the label. I try to make it as special as the quilt front, and unique to each quillt.

I like that idea...using a shape from front. thanks for sharing, Kara. :D

DMotyl 04-19-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i put labels on all my quilts and i tuck pieces of the fabric i used in between the quilt backing and the label.

since 95% of my work is sold i tell the new owners that fabric is hidden behind the label.

this way if a repair ever needs to be made in the future the fabric is safely tucked behind the label or if the new owner wants to shop with color swatches.

What a great idea!!

darlin121 04-19-2011 04:20 PM

I machine embroider a special label for each quilt I make to give away. It almost always has a related theme to the quilt front.

lclang 04-19-2011 08:03 PM

Quilt shops usually have preprinted labels available or you can make your own. An extra block with light colored area can be used and written on with permanent pens. You can take muslin and colored permanent pens and make your own labels or print them on treated fabric from your computer. It is so important to label your quilts. My mom made a lot of quilts and not one is labeled and now we don't know when she made them or what year they were made and I so wish they had been labeled.

Bubblegum0077 04-19-2011 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i put labels on all my quilts and i tuck pieces of the fabric i used in between the quilt backing and the label.

since 95% of my work is sold i tell the new owners that fabric is hidden behind the label.

this way if a repair ever needs to be made in the future the fabric is safely tucked behind the label or if the new owner wants to shop with color swatches.

Oh, that's a great idea. I think I will do that on the two I will be adding labels to very soon.

ckcowl 04-20-2011 03:58 AM

Every quilted item i make gets a label- it is the final step- and not done if missing- at least in my world.
i use either the computer and print on fabric, or i use a micron pigma pen and write out my label.
the label includes, the name of the quilt, my name, state, date;
fiber content (if i use poly batt i include that, if all cotton- then that's what is says)
and laundering instructions.
all the information you find on any good quality garment or home decor item.
if i know where the quilt is going i sometimes add something to the label about that too. :thumbup:
but at the bare minimum -your name, state, date, fiber content and care instructions should be on EVERY QUILT

kateyb 04-20-2011 06:09 AM

I also include my zip code. If it gets lost in shipping it has a better chance of coming back to you so it can get to the right recipient.
ie. Jane Smith NY, NY. The zip code would help.
I once had a package broken open in shipping and because the items weren't labled I didn't get them all back.