Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Labels on quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labels-quilts-t20127.html)

mochasue 05-14-2009 09:54 AM

When you are making a special quilt do you ever put labels on them?

I have seen labels in fabric shops where you can use a fabric pen to write your name in a space after it says: Handmade by

I'm sure there is a place to order on-line labels with your name imprinted on them.

What do you do? I am donating quilts to a charity group and they have asked me to put a label on them.

Piedmont Quilter 05-14-2009 10:07 AM

I put a label on every quilt I make. I usually include the name of the quilt, who it was made for, the year is was made,and if it was hand or machine quilted. And of course - who it was made by (me)! That way in years to come, whoever ends up with it will have the beginning history of the quilt.

Piedmont Quilter
Rebecca

Maride 05-14-2009 10:14 AM

I embroider the informatuion with my machine.

Maria

Shelley 05-14-2009 10:21 AM

Even if it isn't a special quilt, please put a label on the quilt. I have quilts made by my grandmother, and we don't know when. I also have some quilts from DH's side of the family. We don't know who, where or when. Are they 'family' quilts? Or were they received as gifts? Won in a raffle?

kluedesigns 05-14-2009 10:56 AM

i put labels on all my quilts and i tuck pieces of the fabric i used in between the quilt backing and the label.

since 95% of my work is sold i tell the new owners that fabric is hidden behind the label.

this way if a repair ever needs to be made in the future the fabric is safely tucked behind the label or if the new owner wants to shop with color swatches.

mochasue 05-14-2009 11:57 AM

Thank you for your replies and for the links also.

I will now add labels to my quilts.

kluedesigns 05-14-2009 12:27 PM

i've only had one quilt come back to me for repairs and thank god the fabric was in that label because i never would have been able to get that fabric since it was vintage kimono fabric.

their son got a hold of a sharpie pen and wrote his name on the quilt.

it was a nightmare to fix.

Kara 05-14-2009 12:36 PM

I put a label on every quilt. I generally use a fabric from the front. Sometimes copying a shape in the block, or from the quilting.

Example: Pinwheel block with leaves in the quilting. Made a leaf shape out one of the fabric from the front. Appliqued to the back. Another quilt had fish in the quilting, used a fish for the label.

I always include my name, who it's made for, and date completed. And if I have named the quilt, I'll add that, too. If it's quilted for you by someone else, you may wish to add that.

Sometimes, I add other little "doodlings" to the label. I try to make it as special as the quilt front, and unique to each quillt.

mytwopals 05-14-2009 12:46 PM

I've technically only completed one quilt. But I did put a label on it with the year (2006), the occasion (XMAS), the recipient (Mom) and my name (Terry). It was just one of those sew on labels from Joanne Fabrics, that you write on with a Sharpie. My newer sewing machine has a built in alphabet, which I will use to label the backing of my future finished quilts.

Piedmont Quilter 05-14-2009 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i put labels on all my quilts and i tuck pieces of the fabric i used in between the quilt backing and the label.

since 95% of my work is sold i tell the new owners that fabric is hidden behind the label.

this way if a repair ever needs to be made in the future the fabric is safely tucked behind the label or if the new owner wants to shop with color swatches.

I had never thought of that :!: What a good idea. :idea: I will start doing that from now on :thumbup: :thumbup: