Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/leaking-iron-new-rowena-iron-issues-t86370.html)

Eddie 01-01-2011 04:18 PM

My wife has one of the high-end Rowenta irons upstairs in the bedroom for ironing clothes. I don't like it very much. It has leaked before (like a lot when it was just sitting there). And the steam is unpredictable as to when it will actually work. Down in the sewing studio, I have a cheapo $10 iron from Walmart that works much better. Strange, but sometimes simpler really is better.

IBQUILTIN 01-01-2011 04:20 PM

I agree. My Rowenta was more trouble than it was worth. I love my Black and Decker. If you can't replace it, be sure to use the self-clean about once a week, even if you think it doesn't need it

jitkaau 01-01-2011 04:25 PM

Even electric kettles will do this when the seam separates.How long is the warranty?
Most stuff is made in the same region these days, to save on cost and I think a lot of corners are cut.

Cassews 01-01-2011 04:52 PM

wowo !! I did want a rowenta when my iron died but I guess not now .. I will stick with my WM cheapie ! Thanks for sharing the bad news on Rowenta Irons, everyone needs to know !!

Gabrielle's Mimi 01-01-2011 05:12 PM

I use a travel size Rowenta and love it, BUT I use it without water because I find that steam distorts my blocks. If you can use it dry maybe you can get some use out of it. I like it because it does not have auto shut-off which is annoying when you press intermittantly. (BTW, in order not to leave the room with the iron still on, I have both my light and my iron plugged into a power strip. When I leave the room if the light is off then I know the iron is off.)

Dolphyngyrl 01-01-2011 05:30 PM

I do half distilled half tap, and i only have leakages once in a while, maybe try that and see if that works

elizabeth 01-01-2011 05:34 PM

What a good time for Rowenta questions. I have 2 steam generator (tank of water). They have both been working great. But today I used the old one and water started coming out of the tank's seal. It sure was hot water! It was wonderful steam, just coming from the wrong place. I let it "blow off steam" (haha) and used it dry. Worked great. Anyone know whart is happening?

Judebug 01-01-2011 05:54 PM

I'm on my third Rowenta. The first two leaked water eventually. Obviously it is a manufacturing fault, I'd guess its poor seals? Anway, this last one is lighter, more streamlined and only cost me $14. at Sam's Club a couple years ago. I wish I'd stocked up! Otherwise, the higher price isn't worth paying for a consistent flaw in Rowenta.

Tweety2911 01-01-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
all three of the rowenta irons that i have owned have leaked i will never buy one again

Same here. I finally bought a different brand for ironing my yardage pieces. I did purchase a new Rowenta travel iron (my 2nd one) and it also leaks. I just stand it on a towel when it is sitting (after I ruined my 2nd mini ironing board). I will not be buying another one. Interested in knowing what little iron others use for small piecing?

azsupergram 01-01-2011 06:16 PM

I also had leaking problems with the last 2 Rowenta irons I had. Won't buy them at all any more. I'm happily going with cheap irons.