Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Learning to Use Thimble (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/learning-use-thimble-t189204.html)

farmer623 05-18-2012 03:08 AM

I use a leather thimble on my thumb (thumble). I can't do it any other way, and I've really tried.

teddysmom 05-18-2012 03:22 AM

Have never gotten the hang of using a thimble. If I put it on my middle finger, I end of taking it off because it gets in my way. I guess it's a matter of "whatever works."

SuzyQ 05-18-2012 03:50 AM

Holice, do you have any thimbles to recommed? I'm always on the hunt for a comfy one.

Thanks for this discussion. Suzy

Latrinka 05-18-2012 04:28 AM

I've never used a thimble.

MissQuilter 05-18-2012 04:36 AM

My Grandmother taught me to sew. She said that I could never be successful unless I learned to use a thimble, but it was really hard for me to get accustomed to using it. I made myself use it for a portion of each time I was sewing. Sometimes I waited until my finger was a bit sore, then put it on. I soon became used to the thimble and then another on my finger that is beneath the quilt too! My Grandmother later gave me her beautiful sterling silver thimble which I cherish to this day. She is beside me every time I sew and I am continually thankful for her loving patience.

Holice 05-18-2012 05:26 AM

I use the cheapie metal thimble with the depression in the top. I have several kinds but am accustomed to this one.
Made by Dritz. I learned also to use a thimble under neith the quilt. For that one, I get an old metal thimble that is rather smooth around the top edge and pound the top flat. I get them in for pennies at an antique mall. The underside thimble need to be rather smooth around the top edge for the needle point to slide off. I don't believe it dulls the needle.

emlee51 05-18-2012 05:41 AM

I can't use a thimble...a quilter friend gave me some oval disks that stick to your thimble finger and can be re-used over and over. They really work for me. Sorry, but I don't know the name of them.

Friday1961 05-18-2012 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 5222174)
I have the best luck with a leather thimble. Never liked using one until I took up english smocking. For quilting, I go back to using adhesive tape on my fingers.

When I was learning -- I'm still learning! -- to hand quilt, I somehow could not use a metal thimble, even though I do use one for regular hand sewing. I cut the thumb and fingers out of an old leather glove and that's what I use.

MimiBug123 05-18-2012 07:50 AM

I am a non-thimbler! I have tried every kind I can find, but none seem to work for me. I can just feel better with my fingers. I think something must be wrong with my fingers!

MimiBug123 05-18-2012 07:52 AM

I have the same trouble as cannyquilter. I guess my fingers are too skinny! I even tried running down the side of a leather one with the serger, but it was still too loose and floppy. I give up!