Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   LED Light Boxes for Tracing Applique Shapes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/led-light-boxes-tracing-applique-shapes-t273599.html)

elnan 12-22-2015 12:46 PM

I've picked up several at thrift stores. With names like Holly Hobby, they were sold for children. My brother is a carpenter and made one for me to my specs, 2' X 2' X 6" deep at the shallow end and 8" at the deepest. The slant from 8" to 6" makes it more comfortable to lean over. Instead of glass, I had a piece of plexiglass cut to fit inside on a small lip. The only problem is that my husband put a light in it for me and it will roast you. I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would, partly because of the heat from the light. Lowering the light and changing to something like leds will be the next Honey-do I take to him.

If you were satisfied with tracing on a window, you might be happy with using some of the make-dos used before we had so many toys.
1. A dining table pulled apart, table lamp placed underneath on the floor, and a piece of glass placed over the gap where a leaf would have been.
2. Two stacks of books on a table or counter, enough space between stacks to place a small lamp or light source, and a pane of glass above the light and resting on the books. The hardware store will usually cut the glass or plexiglas to any size you want.

NatalieF 12-22-2015 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz (Post 7410940)
I used a 13 by 9 casserole dish flipped upside down over a small battery powered work light. That'll work if you're not doing anything too big and don't want to spend the money.

ohh great idea!

ManiacQuilter2 12-22-2015 02:07 PM

I haven't done any in a long time but I had a tube light and put it under the glass outdoor table.

JDP 12-22-2015 02:25 PM

"En-light-en" me please. What do you use a light box for?

tate_elliott 12-22-2015 03:59 PM

And don't forget that you can use a sliding glass door too. Or, if it's not too uncomfortable, sit inside your car and use the side window.

Tate

elnan 12-22-2015 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by JDP (Post 7411052)
"En-light-en" me please. What do you use a light box for?

For anything you want to trace, even a photo, partial lines, all lines. Trace the design like a collage, use cartoons, etc.

Cam's gram 12-22-2015 04:24 PM

I orderd mine from Joann's when they were on sale several years ago.

Jennifer23 12-22-2015 11:05 PM

Since most of the things I want to trace start off digital, I just use my computer monitor. It makes resizing really easy! I get the design to the size I want, then tape my fabric right over it and trace away.

Peckish 12-22-2015 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by elnan (Post 7410962)
1. A dining table pulled apart, table lamp placed underneath on the floor, and a piece of glass placed over the gap where a leaf would have been.

This is what I did for years. I used a sheet of plexiglass sold at frame shops instead of glass, it worked great.

zennia 12-23-2015 12:54 AM

I use one of those plastic storage boxes for scrapbook paper and a tap light. works great