Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   LED Light Boxes for Tracing Applique Shapes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/led-light-boxes-tracing-applique-shapes-t273599.html)

romanojg 12-23-2015 04:53 AM

I bought a battery operated light, a clear tote and put the light in it and you have an instant light box without spending too much money. You can easily do this for under 10

Macybaby 12-23-2015 06:40 AM

Lots of great ideas here!

I've been using my window, I have the tip out type so I'd pull the top down and rotate it all the way, so that I had a nice slanted area to use. However that stopped being a good idea when the days got short (no natural light) and the weather turned cold.

I've been doing this mostly for my labels. I will set them up using the computer and then print them out. I put the printed paper on the glass and put the fabric over the top so the light will show the printing through the fabric. Then I use my permanent markers (pigma) to follow the letters to get them uniform in height and spacing. I'm not good enough to do it free hand.

tessagin 12-23-2015 06:50 AM

I have a clear scrapbook box ( my project boxes). They are also called craft boxes. Often on sale 3/$10 at Michaels. I use one of those. The box is 14x14. I have a small Led light I toss in. I keep tracing paper and the led in the box and it's ready to go. Even at $9.99 and the $3.00 led still cheaper. If something happens to it, I can use another one. I have a 12 total. I can set it on my lap while watching tv and trace all I want. I canstore my tracing supplies in the box also. Also I can tape the paper in place so it doesn't move. All I have to do is tap the led and the light comes on.

Onebyone 12-23-2015 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a (Post 7410935)
I was told I needed a light box for a class. I purchased a Crayola toy light box. When in class (at the Houston festival no less) the lighting was not sufficient to show through some of the fabric. I wasn't too happy.

I haven't found that problem with mine yet. I used it not long ago to trace on dark brown fabric. If I used it a lot or needed a bigger surface area I'd buy a nice light box designed for applique.
The problem I've found with using the plastic inverted tub is the bottom is not flat. Glass dishes have a logo pressed in the glass right in the middle of the bottom.

willferg 12-23-2015 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by zennia (Post 7411502)
I use one of those plastic storage boxes for scrapbook paper and a tap light. works great

This is what I do. I have a plastic storage box with my embroidery threads inside, and I put the image on the lid, put the fabric over, and trace. I used to use the window but my arms would get tired. Then I bought a fancy light box on Craigslist, but actually…I've never used it, the plastic storage box is too convenient!

Blackberry 12-23-2015 12:09 PM

I made my own light box by using a piece of plexiglass, fairly thick so it won't bend, sit it on top of 4 cans of vegetables and put a string of while Christmas Lights under it and for me it works perfectly.

luvstoquilt 12-23-2015 01:20 PM

Mine came from Hobby Lobby with a 40percent discount. It is pretty large about 20 or 24 inches wide. I love it and so do my grandchildren. They have used it for projects from time to time.

lynnie 12-23-2015 03:20 PM

can't you use your front door like I do?

nancia 12-23-2015 06:55 PM

i use a clear plastic picture frame, lined with parchment to diffuse the light, and toss in a string of led x=mas lights, put the cardboard in upside down and run the cord out the hang-up hole. fast, cheap, easy to store and works great!

JENNR8R 12-24-2015 05:22 AM

Another option is to use an enclosed shower door with the light in the shower turned on.