Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Leftover Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/leftover-batting-t124294.html)

Taughtby Grandma 05-20-2011 01:00 PM

I use them for baby quilts. I sew them together if needed for the correct size.

sewnbug 05-20-2011 01:01 PM

I join pieces together with a zig zag stitch.

madamekelly 05-20-2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Joselake
I've made about 7 quilts over the last 6 months or so and wanted to know what to do with all the leftover scraps of batting. Most of it is the same type, but I'm not really into place mats or table runners and don't know what to do with them. With the cost of material now a day I can't seem to throw it away and it's really starting to stack up.....Any suggestions?

I use light weight iron-on interfacing to piece my batting, then after I quilt, it doesn't show.

Matilda 05-20-2011 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Joselake
I've made about 7 quilts over the last 6 months or so and wanted to know what to do with all the leftover scraps of batting. Most of it is the same type, but I'm not really into place mats or table runners and don't know what to do with them. With the cost of material now a day I can't seem to throw it away and it's really starting to stack up.....Any suggestions?

I use them in another quilt and piece them together. Sometimes I use them in a potholder.

sylviasmom 05-20-2011 02:41 PM

I piece them together and use them in rag quilts.

GrannySue 05-20-2011 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by janeknapp
...put small squares in the bottom of flower pots to keep dirt from falling through the holes and still lets the water drain out.

I love this idea. I usually use magnolia leaves or landscaping material. I am going to give this a try.

Janice Thompson 05-20-2011 03:35 PM

If the piece is large enough I zig-zag together for either a baby charity quilt or lap quilt for gthe military. The local hospital appreciates stuffed toys. ThisI shred by pulling it apart. The police also can use stuffed animals to calm accident victims.

UCHSCPSYCH 05-20-2011 04:13 PM

Have you seen the new fusible tape? I use it all the time and it has saved me a lot of $$ not having to purchase each time I need a batting.

CQMadhatter 05-20-2011 05:22 PM

I use the leftover pieces when I make a really puffy quilt. I sew 3 sides of the quilt together, turn it right side out and then sew the "columns" down the quilt. I stuff enough batting for 1 row and then sew across. Stuff another row, sew across, and keep going until approximately 8 rows have been sewn. I stuff the last row and hand sew the last side closed. My brother loved his quilt since it was so puffy.

Matilda 05-20-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by GrannySue

Originally Posted by janeknapp
...put small squares in the bottom of flower pots to keep dirt from falling through the holes and still lets the water drain out.

I love this idea. I usually use magnolia leaves or landscaping material. I am going to give this a try.

That is a neat idea!!