Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let go of my quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/let-go-my-quilts-t31872.html)

Rina 12-18-2009 11:25 AM

I wonder if anybody have the same problem as I have. I made two quilts for my grandsons. The one is 3 years and he received his quilt when he was two, and the little brother is now one and a half and I am finished with his quilt. BUT... I visited them a few months ago, we live in South Africa and they in Australia and what did I see. Mommy never told them to care for this quilt because she doesn't know anything about quilting and how many hours go into a quilt. Little boy is playing outside picnic on his (MY :evil: ) quilt. I can't say anything (I am the mother-in-law) but I am observing :shock: !
Do you also have that problem? I expect them to caress the quilt, not mess it! :roll: Anyway, I will keep on making, there is a third grandson!! :thumbup: And I love this hobby! :lol:

amma 12-18-2009 11:36 AM

I am sorry that they hurt your feelings :(
Maybe the rest of the quilts could be what we call utility quilts. Ones that we do not spend so much time or money on, that we expect to be used, drug around and are well loved on :D This way the little ones always have a quilt made by Grama around and they can be replaced as the child grows. :D:D:D

thequilteddove 12-18-2009 11:36 AM

Oh Rina, I feel your pain! Because of just this, I made really quick, easy, fun quilts for my grand daughter out of Joann fabris (on sale). It's better for them to use & love it to death than for it to sit in a closet for the moths to eat.

As upsetting as it may be, you know he truely loves it if he's take'n it everywhere & do'n everything with it!

ghostrider 12-18-2009 11:38 AM

I'm sorry you are hurt by their actions, but the most important part of "gift giving" is the giving part. When you gave the quilt, it became someone else's, to do with as they wish. The child obviously loves the quilt to play picnic on it outside, be grateful for that and enjoy being with him. Living that far away, you will miss many things in his life, treasure what you share.

amma 12-18-2009 11:42 AM

Another thought.... Your grandson is creating many memories with his quilt from Grama.... He will remember the picnics with it...or making a tent with it over a table or chair... all of the other things that kids do. And in the center of all of these memories is Grama's Quilt!!! :D:D:D

Lneal 12-18-2009 11:47 AM

That is a positive and a grama's way of thinking! How nice to be thought of that way.!!

Rina 12-18-2009 11:48 AM

Sigh!! I know, I know!! LET GO ! Thanks for lifting my spirit, you are all dear friends, although we doesn't know each other, or do we? Love you all and have a Blessed Christmas and remember the reason for the season. Mwha!

thismomquilts 12-18-2009 12:09 PM

Maybe he loves it so much he wants it to be with him and help him make memories - I love it when my children take their quilts and play with them... I did not use LQS fabrics just for that reason - one son already needs a new one - granted they have not chosen to take them outside for a picnic, but I wouldn't mind a picnic on them - now climbing in a tree with them (they used to climb trees alot!) would be another story, but a picnic - I'd feel honored that they wanted to use the quilts. Our dd takes hers wherever she goes - to school, to the mission field... now to her new home... I am thrilled when the quilts I make are used.

susiequilt 12-18-2009 12:30 PM

When I first started quilting I made all 4 grandkids a quilt.
My one daughter let her 2 kids drag the quilts around all over. They took them in the car, outside to play with them and even bought them to Florida twice.
The second time they came I spent quite a while repairing the quilts. They were tied and not sturdy enough for these kids.

My other daughter's two girls got a quilt also. I have never seen them use it. I don't even know where they are keeping it.

Guess which kids will get another quilt from Grandma?

The ones that loved them and used them to death!

:-D

Darlene 12-18-2009 12:32 PM

The same thing happened to my MIL when my SIL let her boys ruin the quilts she had made them. It hurt her feelings too so she never made them anymore. They even got paint on one.
I have every quilt my MIL made us and they are all in great shape. She was amazed when I told her this.