Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let me know if I was wrong????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/let-me-know-if-i-wrong-t18510.html)

LindaR 04-03-2009 08:46 AM

Don't be afraid of hurting my feelings please.
Our guild had a class yesterday of hand piecing from a former professional quilt teacher who is now living in the area. We had a member (who has been a frequent problem child) who said "She just wanted to watch". I told her NO that it wasn't fair to the people who had paid the kit fee and an insult to the teacher with this extra person in the room. She left in a huff, I started to feel bad when one person piped up and said it wouldn't have hurt to let her watch! The teacher didn't say anything but I could see her face. ha. I must add this is kinda a laid back guild most times, was I too uptight?????

Rose Hall 04-03-2009 08:49 AM

In my opinion, even "watching", meant she was learning something from the teacher.
Rose H.

sewjoyce 04-03-2009 08:56 AM

NO -- You were not wrong!! Even if you're going to watch, you should pay!!! (From past experience in being in a class with "watchers", these are the people who ask the most obvious questions and don't "understand" and keep the class from proceeding in a timely manner :evil: )

Yeah, I'm a witch, but why should someone watch when I had to pay :evil: ! My class money is very limited and I try to choose with care the ones that I attend...

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 04-03-2009 08:59 AM

I would have done the same. I hate it when ppl try to get around the rules, think they're special and deserve to be treated as such. Give me a break, you want to attend the class? pay the fee.

Tippy 04-03-2009 09:08 AM

I think you were totally right.. that's like a free class IMHO.

sewmuch 04-03-2009 09:08 AM

You were right, not fair to those that paid their money for class :!: :!:

LindaR 04-03-2009 09:14 AM

thanks I feel better....don't you think people who attend guild meetings just to socialize (thru the whole meeting) and eat, not to learn anything need another kind of club??????

Joan 04-03-2009 09:16 AM

It wasn't a FREE class. A kit and so forth had to be purchased if you wanted to participate in the class. To watch and not pay is still attending the class of a professional quilter. I personally don't think the professional quilter teacher wanted to "give" her knowledge away for free. It's hard to take a stand like you did, most people wouldn't have said anything but I support you!

Sharon M 04-03-2009 09:31 AM

you were right on and good for you for speaking up!
Some people may have thought there was no harm but as others pointed out sometimes the "freeloaders" ask the most questions. After all it was a pay class and is unfair to the teacher and the people that paid.

Prism99 04-03-2009 09:41 AM

I agree with the others. As I recall, in college you still had to pay the class fee in order to audit; you just didn't get credit for it. I think this is much the same. :-)