Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Let me know if I was wrong?????

Blog Entries
    Don't be afraid of hurting my feelings please.
    Our guild had a class yesterday of hand piecing from a former professional quilt teacher who is now living in the area. We had a member (who has been a frequent problem child) who said "She just wanted to watch". I told her NO that it wasn't fair to the people who had paid the kit fee and an insult to the teacher with this extra person in the room. She left in a huff, I started to feel bad when one person piped up and said it wouldn't have hurt to let her watch! The teacher didn't say anything but I could see her face. ha. I must add this is kinda a laid back guild most times, was I too uptight?????

In my opinion, even "watching", meant she was learning something from the teacher.
    Rose H.

NO -- You were not wrong!! Even if you're going to watch, you should pay!!! (From past experience in being in a class with "watchers", these are the people who ask the most obvious questions and don't "understand" and keep the class from proceeding in a timely manner :evil: )

Yeah, I'm a witch, but why should someone watch when I had to pay :evil: ! My class money is very limited and I try to choose with care the ones that I attend...

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    I would have done the same. I hate it when ppl try to get around the rules, think they're special and deserve to be treated as such. Give me a break, you want to attend the class? pay the fee.

I think you were totally right.. that's like a free class IMHO.

You were right, not fair to those that paid their money for class :!: :!:

Blog Entries
    thanks I feel better....don't you think people who attend guild meetings just to socialize (thru the whole meeting) and eat, not to learn anything need another kind of club??????

It wasn't a FREE class. A kit and so forth had to be purchased if you wanted to participate in the class. To watch and not pay is still attending the class of a professional quilter. I personally don't think the professional quilter teacher wanted to "give" her knowledge away for free. It's hard to take a stand like you did, most people wouldn't have said anything but I support you!

Blog Entries
    you were right on and good for you for speaking up!
    Some people may have thought there was no harm but as others pointed out sometimes the "freeloaders" ask the most questions. After all it was a pay class and is unfair to the teacher and the people that paid.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the others. As I recall, in college you still had to pay the class fee in order to audit; you just didn't get credit for it. I think this is much the same. :-)

Blog Entries
    no i don,t think you where mean ,watching is learning :?: and who,s to say she was going to make her own kit for learning what she saw at class some people will do anything for free, it was clear that you had to buy a kit for learning what you saw not the other way around watch and then buy the kit

The teacher's attention would be further split. Unless it was pre-arranged for her to assist the teacher or participate in the cleanup or something, it was not her place to be there.

oh, unless she was bringing chocolate and snacks.

YOu were every bit justified in your statement!
    You most definitely rate good marks for supporting your local talent without writing "welcome mat" on their foreheads.
    As the others have mentioned: No one EVER just watches ... they are learning right along ... if that weren't true, lists such as this one wouldn't be so popular and encouraging.

YOu were perfectly right in what you did. The same thing happend to me in my quilt shop and I had to ask the woman to leave. She did not come back, but I didn't care. The other ladies had paid the fee to attend and she should have too, if she wanted to stay. Marge

Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    I would have done the same. I hate it when ppl try to get around the rules, think they're special and deserve to be treated as such. Give me a break, you want to attend the class? pay the fee.

Ditto..... That was what I was thinking tooo

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    thanks I feel better....don't you think people who attend guild meetings just to socialize (thru the whole meeting) and eat, not to learn anything need another kind of club??????
    I think it takes ALL kinds of people for a guild. Maybe, her talent (?) is selling opportunity quilt tickets and bringing the food? Guilds get "bad names" and criticism if they don't welcome everyone regardless of their level of quilting competence. It's important that people feel comfortable.

(although, I do understand your feelings about this particular member, just keep your distance and don't LET her interfere with your enjoyment of the guild.)

I think you were absolutely right, and if I had been there I would have started a round of applause after the other lady left. Shame on the teacher for not publicly supporting you.

Just in case you need another opinion, I agree with all the others. If she didn't pay, she doesn't attend.

And good on you for saying so. If I paid for a class, and someone was allowed to "watch" for free, I'd be rather annoyed.

I think you were entirely right. If you had let her "watch" then the other members would be complaining about the preferential treatment she got, and they would all want the same.

It's a good thing you had the nerve to say something or you would have had a lot of angree quilters on the other side....the nerve of some people.....I would like to just watch too.....:-)

good for you!...:-)

I think you were totally right. And I think it was kind of rude of her to ask when everybody else had to pay. Don't let her huffiness bother you. If you let one person watch for free, then you have to let everybody watch for free. Next time, just tell her that the class isn't set up with a spectator section.

Our LQS used to offer demos on Friday mornings for 1-2 hours. It was just a demo--not a hands-on workshop. Those were limited to 12 people because that's all the room they had. There was a nominal fee of $2 (if I remember correctly) just to pay the instructor something. So, even then, just watching wasn't free.

You were 100% right, I can't believe she had the nerve to try that. Good for you, I probably wouldn't have had the guts to speak up and then would have fumed thru the whole thing and not been able to learn a thing.

Blog Entries
    She knew she was wrong or she would not have "huffed" out of the room.

If the teacher volunteered to do the class for free, I see no harm. However, if the teacher expected to be paid and others paid a fee to sit through the class, I would have not let her watch either.

Blog Entries
    Several years back I taught knitting classes. One night a lady drove her friend to the class and sat in but didn't actually participate. At the end of the class I asked if she'd like to buy the pattern, one of my designs. My intention was to charger her for the pattern but not the class. She said, "No, I'll just copy Susie's." That made me so mad I replied, "Well, then I'll only charge you for the class." She didn't object but you should have seen the expression on her face.

You did the right thing. If she didn't want to pay for the class she shouldn't have come.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast