Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please don't let me get this one wrong! >

Please don't let me get this one wrong!

Please don't let me get this one wrong!

Old 04-17-2015, 01:25 PM

Default Please don't let me get this one wrong!

Im thrilled but terrified that I've been asked to make a traditional Scottish quilt for a lady in Texas. A bit of me is wondering if the world has gone mad. Texans order quilts in Texas not Scotland! The quilt is for an awesome lady as a birthday gift from her daughter-in-law. The lady in question has a strong Christian faith so I'm looking for a block which may resonate with her. Has anyone got any ideas? There will of course be tartan in the quilt. Would cathedral window work with tartan?
Old 04-17-2015, 01:56 PM

Hi.....being from Texas, i can state with some assurance....ya just never know what we'll think of next !! If you google "Bible Quilt Blocks Free Patterns" there are web sites with a quite few there - like Jacob's Ladder, Crown of Thorns, Fish.....There are LOTS out there....perhaps the tartan (does their family have one?? I'm a Hunter and a Ferguson myself) could be in the sashing between the blocks....or in a block between the blocks.
Best of good luck with your quilt !!!
Old 04-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

We do have some members that live in Scotland. I have Scottish ancestry since my Grandmother was born in Scotland but I would have NO IDEA what you should make. You need to get additional information from your client just so that you can be assured you are making what the birthday lady would enjoy having. As Penni F mentioned, there are many common blocks in quilting that have Biblical connections. Do you have EQ to design an outline of the quilt you will make?? Visual aids always help with people who are not quilters. Someone displayed a quilt here on this site. I made my own version of that quilt with some changes. Not sure what the original name was, something Cross. Here is the basic design with some changes I made. Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails watercolor-cross.jpg  
Old 04-17-2015, 02:58 PM

I'm not sure what a "traditional" Scottish quilt would look like, unless you mean using traditional blocks? A few years back I made one with the church yard, sheep and thistles...here's a link, maybe something on it will give you a few more ideas. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t130020.html
Old 04-17-2015, 06:01 PM

These are two very different but equally lovely quilts. I don't use any programmes when I plan a quilt. Lol it's usually as I'm falling asleep that I get a flash of inspiration. Sometimes I get up and jot something down, other times I don't and kick myself at breakfast because I can't remember what it was I'd though of. I know my Granny, a seamstress, made utility quilts from old clothes etc, as many people did in days gone by, but I really don't think there is such a thing as any particular traditional Scottish quilt per se, I think the lady in question is referring more to fabric than design. Is it okay to 'borrow' elements from either of these quilts? Thank you
Old 04-17-2015, 09:05 PM

Do you know the family crest and tartan?

I'm making a family crest quilt for my husband. He wants to take it hunting, so I'm making it durable and heavy. It's his family crest appliqued on wholecloth, aka a 54" wide piece of denim. The family name will go above the crest once I print the letters big enough.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517235[/ATTACH]

Originally I was going to sew the tartan around the border, but when he said he wanted to take it hunting, I started rethinking that idea. The tartan wool is expensive and not machine washable, so not a very practical choice.
Attached Thumbnails img_6175.jpg  
Old 04-17-2015, 10:36 PM

Why not look at some of Robbie Burns poems. One may give you inspiration.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:48 PM

Hi Sheilz, I would ask specific questions as to what kind of religious items the lady wants, my family live inTexas and their idea of religious is very different now from what it was in Scotland. Don't want to offend anyone, but might be better to ask?
Old 04-17-2015, 11:12 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Gaelic (<wbr>Gael-tech / Celtic) culture still survives strongly in Ireland, Wales, Scotland. Any Celtic knot design would be perfect for a "Scottish" quilt.

Also check out "quilts from Scotland" in google images: https://www.google.com/search?site=&.....5362.12355.0

Here are some Celtic cross images: https://www.google.com/search?q=celt...g&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 04-17-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:27 AM

The ladies husband is a pastor - Evangelical? She is also a talented musician and described as having a bubbly jolly personality. She is in her mid 50s