Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If this is mounted Wrong, please let me know >

If this is mounted Wrong, please let me know

If this is mounted Wrong, please let me know

Old 03-22-2016, 10:17 AM

Default If this is mounted Wrong, please let me know

Not having any quilting relatives of that ilk, or being able to find anything on line, I just kind of went with my instinct and copied what I do on the Long Arm.
So if anyone knows something different let me know. Thanks ( I can't believe it took almost a full day to figure this out. (and move the furniture, and clean the dust bunnies etc.)
Attached Thumbnails img_4573.jpg  
Old 03-22-2016, 10:34 AM

What a beautiful dear Jane!

It looks like it should work just fine. There directions on loading a 3 pole frame on Hinterberg.com. Those directions have the top rolled on the back roller along with the batting, and the backing rolled up on the middle pole. However, I see no reason that this won't work just as well.

Good luck!

Janet
Old 03-22-2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
What a beautiful dear Jane!

It looks like it should work just fine. There directions on loading a 3 pole frame on Hinterberg.com. Those directions have the top rolled on the back roller along with the batting, and the backing rolled up on the middle pole. However, I see no reason that this won't work just as well.

Good luck!

Janet
Thanks. I had a look and it's food for thought. I never though of leaders even though I use them on my LA. DOH! I'll sleep on this.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 AM

This looks right to me. You must have the top on the middle pole so that you can advance the quilt toward you, opposite of the way we normally advance the quilt on a longarm frame.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Very nice dear Jane. I have never used a frame.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:29 PM

It looks like this might work, but it is very different from my Grace Z44 frame instructions. I have leader cloths. They are especially useful when I get to the end of the quilt, so it is easy to quilt right up to the edge. I don't think I could do it without leader cloths. There is a good video demonstration on the Grace Company website for the three pole frame. Before you start quilting, satisfy yourself that it is correctly loaded so that there are no surprises along the way--especially when you get to the end. Your quilt is beautiful. What an heirloom you will have when it is all hand quilted.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:59 PM

Default Montes wrong

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
Not having any quilting relatives of that ilk, or being able to find anything on line, I just kind of went with my instinct and copied what I do on the Long Arm.
So if anyone knows something different let me know. Thanks ( I can't believe it took almost a full day to figure this out. (and move the furniture, and clean the dust bunnies etc.)
Looking at your picture it looks different than I load. I pin my back and batting to the front rod, I the pin the other end of the backing to the rod close to your wall, make sure when doing that step you go under your middle rod. Roll up your backing then feed batting under middle rod and let it float over third rod no need to roll batting, now pin other end of quilt top to middle rod and roll towards front. Quilt from front rolling as you go. Hope this helps .
Old 03-22-2016, 04:23 PM

I have to rethink this baby. That's for tomorrow.
Thanks to all of your inputs!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by cathycabot View Post
Looking at your picture it looks different than I load. I pin my back and batting to the front rod, I the pin the other end of the backing to the rod close to your wall, make sure when doing that step you go under your middle rod. Roll up your backing then feed batting under middle rod and let it float over third rod no need to roll batting, now pin other end of quilt top to middle rod and roll towards front. Quilt from front rolling as you go. Hope this helps .
I agree. I've hand quilted for over 40 yrs. I currently quilt on a large floor frame where everything is stretched out, full-size, and pinned in place. (My preferred way, because I have much more control of tension, puckering, etc.) But, when my space was more limited, I used my same floor frame very similar to what you describe in the above quote, cathycabot. (I used my shorter "sticks"/rods on the ends, that were more like 3 ft. instead of the full width of the quilt, and my full-length rods for the front and back rods.) The one edge of my backing was pinned to my front rod and the other end pinned and rolled neatly onto the back one. I floated the batting and, since I had not middle rod, I pinned the top in place as far in as I could reach from my front rod and floated it along with my batting. Kind of rolling them together along the back of the frame to keep it off the floor. This worked fine. I like having the backing on both the front and back rollers to manage the tension better. I really think having the backing and the batting on the same back roller would make it hard to keep the tension right while quilting. I'm sorry you spent so much time loading this, but really do suggest you rethink it. Private message me if you need more clarity.

Later: Just looked at your picture again...really, all you need to do is unroll your back roller and take the batting out and re-roll it with backing only. Should be able to do that in a jiffy. Happy quilting! Your top is amazing!!!

Last edited by MarthaT; 03-23-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:48 AM

Go to grace and look up their video on loading a 3 rail frame. If it isn't correct, you will not be able to go to the edge on the bottom.