Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please don't let me get this one wrong! >

Please don't let me get this one wrong!

Please don't let me get this one wrong!

Old 04-18-2015, 05:11 AM

I agree with Jan. I think a celtic knot pattern would be great. Maybe you can find some musical fabric for the backing and quilt circles of different sizes around the outside border to represent her bubbly personality.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:57 AM

I always wondered if quilt designs would be different around the world. After looking at all the images Jan found, I find for the most part, we all do the same thing, even in the same colors, with the exception of some scenic quilts. Everyone has such good ideas that I know you will find one that the lady will like.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:36 AM

I think you're going to struggle with the 'traditional' Scottish quilt as a concept as there really isn't any that I'm aware of. I found a couple of tartan Cathedral Windows blocks here (you have to search 'plaid', lol).

Alternatively, you could think about making several Saltire blocks, perhaps as part of the border/back.

If you like to appliqué, then a thistle might work too.

There is a block called 'The Scottish Cross' - found here - but I've no idea of it's provenance with regard to actually being Scottish!

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2015, 03:30 AM

Thanks so much for sharing that beautiful cross, ManaicQuilter2, I love it!
Old 04-19-2015, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

I love the purple one with the cross
Old 04-19-2015, 06:31 AM

I've seen a few S. Florida men wearing them also.....
Old 04-19-2015, 07:17 AM

I was born and raised in Scotland, but also lived in Texas for a while, and would say that the religious element is probably quite a strong part (there is a reason why Texas is part of 'the Bible Belt') so you may need clarification as to denomination as well as strength of desire for this to be included (since to me religion wouldn't really be an obvious factor in a 'traditional Scottish' quilt, but your - or your client's - views may vary from mine).

I would also expect a desire for significant use of tartan ("plaid") in fabric prints and/or piecing (I'm thinking of sashing, tho that could be rather complicated).

My first thought re design (taking into account the above) was a centralised cross with a thistle twining up it, then borders incorporating tartan and saltires.

You might also want to consider wildlife (e.g. stags), plants (thistles, pine trees etc.) and scenery (e.g. mountains) for fabric prints, piecing or incorporation into the quilting itself, since that is usually a strong association re Scotland.

Another thought: it is anticipated that the quilt top will be pieced, appliqued, or a mixture?

Edited to add: also (tho personally they make me twitch) don't forget about bagpipes if going with the musical element.

Edited again: is there any way you could get pre-approval of your design from the gift-giver? It's all very well us going with stereotypes and general impressions, but for a bespoke gift that will be best for this particular lady some input from those who actually know her would help no end!

I'm shutting up now :-)

Last edited by Panchita; 04-19-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Why not look at some of Robbie Burns poems. One may give you inspiration.
I read your post and chuckled, only an English citizen would call him "Robbie" Burns. Lol! Thank you, grandma always called him that too!

(I noticed that no one has mentioned celtic motifs using bias tapes.....)

Last edited by madamekelly; 04-19-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:21 PM

I will be very interested to see just what you decide to do!
Old 04-19-2015, 07:41 PM

Thank you ladies you've really given me a lot to think about. One side is definitely tartan which she seemed particularly keen on. While I'm busy with that I can think about the other side. It's a challenge for sure.