Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Let me know if I was wrong?????

There is always one in every crowd who thinks the rules are not for them. You did the right thing Linda! :D Ninnie in NC

Blog Entries
    The teacher probably should have spoken up. It's not fair to the people who have paid either.

If you are sitting in on a class and "watching" you are part of the class and need to pay. Makes me mad when people want to get something for nothing. You were not wrong.

Linda,
    Don't feel bad, you were RIGHT!

Blog Entries
    Our guild has the rule that a member has to pay $5 extra what ever the class fee is to be a watcher. Pay the regular price or pay $5 extra or don't come. It worked great once everyone figured out the $5 extra was a polite way to say you will pay to stay.

I agree, or if a kit was involved and she didn't get the kit, then discount it the fee just to audit. But she definitely has to pay something. Not fair to others.

HMK
    At our guild we have a class just about each week after the meeting (our members pass along their knowledge). I walk to the meetings and don't like to take the car & my machine but like to participate in the class. I pay my fee like everyone else but just treat the class as a demo and then go home and make the item. No one has objected to that, yet. I think you were right in speaking up and not letting her watch for free.

You were right in what you told her. If I would have been there I probably would have said something. My mouth gets bigger with age!

Bellaboo, whatever you have in that pot is making my mouth water!!!

Blog Entries
    thanks guys.....if this woman never comes back it wouldn't be a bad thing...she has other issues. Isn't there one in every guild????? Why why why!

You absolutely did the right thing! She could have sat there "just watching" and taking tons of notes so she could make up her own kit later. She would have gotten the same benefit as the paying members of the class. If I had paid for the class and she got in for free, I would have been really ticked.

Banned
    I personally have never been to a class, but from just what your saying. I feel you were right. Its not fair everyone else paid and she's learning the same things, but for free.

I'm glad you spoke up and other than the one misguided individual who criticized you, I'll bet others were secretly glad you said what they did not have the courage to say. She was out of line expecting free information when everyone else is required to pay.

Once I signed up for a class at my LQS. I was only interested in learning the technique and did not have time to stay for the hands-on section. I audited the first half and left when everyone set up their machines. Even though I was present for only half the class, I never dreamed of not paying for the full enrollment cost or asking for a discount for partial "auditing." Why should I derive a benefit without paying for it?

Thats why I stay home....Classes are way to expensive. I won't join cause people would think I was getting something free. I would like to be with other quilters but will not explain my finances. I rely on the computer for my free lessons. I go to the quilt show and they want everyone to join...but I don't think I would be welcome very long...I'm poor folks....your loss :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

i would have smiled sweetly and asked the dissenting member if i too could just 'sit in' and have my money back. and perhaps she might like to do the same? as well as all the other members?

i think she would have gotten the point.

I dont understand why the teacher didnt say something. She is the professional and should have known how to handle the situation.

Hooray for standing up and telling it like it is! :lol:
    There are free demonstrations at our guild and at the LQS.
    The fees for classes are nominal, but necessary. If you had caved and let her stay without paying the fee, and everyone else HAD paid, then the next class would be "audited" for free by everyone who knew, and then what could you say!
    It has been my experience that there are those who don't have the kit have the most questions, because they don't have material in their hands to actually know what is being taught! WTG!

Blog Entries
    I agree if she didn't want to make the "kit" in class , she should have at least bought the kit to make later... Or paid something, nothing is free anymore
    Sharon

You were right. I would have been mad if I had bought a kit etc and then a free loader was allowed in.
    It would have been well understood beforehand that it was a hands on class and a kit was to be purchased. If she was hard up and couldn't afford a kit, that should have been discussed well in advance, of the event and some arrangement made..

You are not wrong, your are correct. Good for you! If you allow for one this one time, in the future you would have to allow for others. Don't think they wouldn't forget. Guild rules as in law, if you start to bend then what is the point in having procedures to follow. As a commissioner the board I serve on recently encountered a problem similar to this, we followed the law. Might make a few folks upset but in the long run it is fair.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    Isn't there one in every guild????? Why why why!
    to keep you on your toes. lol

Blog Entries
    you got that right madquilter...

No, you weren't wrong. You are an ethical person with integrity and she obviously isn't at times. I think others probably felt as you did, were too timid to say what you said, and probably are glad that you said it.
    My motto has always been, speak your mind quietly and nobody will ever wonder about your motives. In my book I think you must be an authentic person...and that's a compliment!
    The past has passed and don't waste another minute re-viewing it because nothing will change and only you will feel bad. Put on some good music now and sing to it while you quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I dont understand why the teacher didnt say something. She is the professional and should have known how to handle the situation.
    I don't think it was the instructor's place to say anything, the Guild hired her to be there. It's the organizer's place to keep the class straight and keep the money right. You did the absolute right thing Linda. Good for you and for your Guild. Honesty pays!

Hugs,
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    I just LOVE you guys....going on with life now..Happy easter, from Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    thanks I feel better....don't you think people who attend guild meetings just to socialize (thru the whole meeting) and eat, not to learn anything need another kind of club??????
    Actually, no. Ideally, guild meetings are open to anyone who is interested, pays their dues, takes their turn bringing treats, and sits politely through the meetings. :wink:

She may be a guild member in good standing, but what you had was not a regular quilt guild meeting. You were offering a class. Totally different situation. It sounds to me like you handled it in an appropriate way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast