Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let's encourage each other! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lets-encourage-each-other-t219365.html)

labtechkty 04-19-2013 04:21 AM

As long as the sewing machine you have can put two pieces of material together, does it really matter how much they cost?? My biggest worry is getting that 1/4 inch seam right..lol
As far as the negative comments that you read every now and again on this board, they deserve no more of your attention than the people who post them...Please continue to post your questions and comments and take from the positive responses the info you're looking for..

quiltmom04 04-19-2013 04:31 AM

I agree with what you said. But as soon as someone says "What do you think of fabrics at Walmart?" or "was this color a good choice? " needs to realize that different opinions will surface. I feel like sometimes people will ask what others think of a quilt when all they really want is for everyone to say it'sbeautiful. Not that that's wrong! I'd like everyone to think my quilts are beautiful, too, but perhaps just say you're sharing a photo, or an opinion and NOT asking for input is a safer way to go.

DOTTYMO 04-19-2013 05:15 AM

I had a very similar comment the other day at a class. Where is your bernina didn't hing you used a cheap viking. Oh I replied the bernina is at home because after have ing a car accident with it and damaging the machine I now travel with an excellent machine which if it needs replacing want cost an arm and a leg.
This board is great but I think sometimes because we come from such a wide geographical areas that jokes and the way we say things are miss understood. Mine are frequently and having dyslexia also doesn't help as my phrases in sentences are wrong ompared with others.

2manyhobbies 04-19-2013 05:28 AM

A woman in our our 'sew in'group is finally finishing a quilt she started in a beginner's. sewing class. The class was held at a local quilt shop. The teacher was so critical, that our friend says she still struggles with the bad memories, which is why the quilt never got finished. It is a very nice piece and the fabric and colors are beautiful. We keep telling her to get the bad thoughts out so new karma can come in! I am a former home ec teacher and 4H leader. I feel so badly that a teacher would cause so much pain that an adult learner was that badly affected. I love teaching and I know I'm good at it. I have always worked to encourage, not discourage. I have seen the all thumbs types turn into skilled people once they practiced and learned from their mistakes (me included).

Caswews 04-19-2013 06:03 AM

Very well said Micha .. Everyone is different and everything works differently for them. Some of the simplest tools I have in my sewing/quilting/crafting room (LOL a friend calls it my sweat room as when I get to sewing; I don't stop. Then it became the Swear Room-as you can imagine why !LOL Thanks to a wonderful friend from the Board!LOL You know who you are !LOL); they work for me whereas they might not work for someone else.

QandE2010 04-19-2013 06:30 AM

As this topic peaked my interest, I sat down and read all the comments. I starting sewing on a treadle machine when I was 9. The first item I made was a gathered skirt. That was in 4-H. I sewed on whatever machine(s) my mom had while I was growing up. There were 4 of us sisters plus my mom, so we fought for time to use the family sewing machine. For several summers I stayed with my Grandma and got to sew whenever I wanted to. (After the household chores were completed of course) Such bliss. When I married, I went to work, saved, and eventually purchased a Montgomery Wards, then later a Kenmore, then much later a Kenmore that had more features. Eventually I saw the 7570 Pfaff embroidery machines. (My older sister had purchased it and was singing it's praises.) I bought one on eBay. Then the 2140,2144, & 2170 were released. I again went to eBay & bid on, & bought the 2140 (later upgraded via computer to the 2170 software).
I have worked my entire adult life, and continue to do so. In 2010, I had saved enough money to purchase the Pfaff Creative Vision, as I started embroidering for pay & I wanted (note, not needed) a larger embroidery surface. I started my research, found a dealer that impressed me, went to the store & walked out with the new Bernina 830. Do I like it? YES. Do I brag about it? PERHAPS A BIT. Do I belittle others who don't want this machine? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Do I hesitate to tell people what machine I have? YES. I DON'T WANT TO BE JUDGED OR TREATED LIKE A SNOB. I do not go out to eat, I don't drink or smoke. I don't buy extravagant clothes or shoes. My house is paid for. So, am I justifying own my owning my Bernina? YES, A LITTLE. I still have both my pfaff machines. and I recently gifted my granddaughter with my Kenmore recently.Do I have a large stash? THAT DEPENDS ON THE MEANING OF LARGE. LOL
Each person has different wants and needs. Mine are right for me and yours are right for you. If we all fit in the same circle or square, it would be overloaded with people. LOL.
I love this board and although I have been quilting/sewing/embroidering for years, each day I learn something new from all you wonderful people here. I feel this board is equivalent to a master's in fabric related crafts. I love to see what others create and the diversity of the projects. (I have several projects that I have finished in the past six months that I haven't posted due to my career or lack of getting around to it.)
In closing, and I apologize for the lengthy post, thank you all for your contributions and let's make all feel welcome and loved as I do. THANKS & GOD BLESS!!

QandE2010 04-19-2013 06:30 AM

As this topic peaked my interest, I sat down and read all the comments. I starting sewing on a treadle machine when I was 9. The first item I made was a gathered skirt. That was in 4-H. I sewed on whatever machine(s) my mom had while I was growing up. There were 4 of us sisters plus my mom, so we fought for time to use the family sewing machine. For several summers I stayed with my Grandma and got to sew whenever I wanted to. (After the household chores were completed of course) Such bliss. When I married, I went to work, saved, and eventually purchased a Montgomery Wards, then later a Kenmore, then much later a Kenmore that had more features. Eventually I saw the 7570 Pfaff embroidery machines. (My older sister had purchased it and was singing it's praises.) I bought one on eBay. Then the 2140,2144, & 2170 were released. I again went to eBay & bid on, & bought the 2140 (later upgraded via computer to the 2170 software).
I have worked my entire adult life, and continue to do so. In 2010, I had saved enough money to purchase the Pfaff Creative Vision, as I started embroidering for pay & I wanted (note, not needed) a larger embroidery surface. I started my research, found a dealer that impressed me, went to the store & walked out with the new Bernina 830. Do I like it? YES. Do I brag about it? PERHAPS A BIT. Do I belittle others who don't want this machine? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Do I hesitate to tell people what machine I have? YES. I DON'T WANT TO BE JUDGED OR TREATED LIKE A SNOB. I do not go out to eat, I don't drink or smoke. I don't buy extravagant clothes or shoes. My house is paid for. So, am I justifying own my owning my Bernina? YES, A LITTLE. I still have both my pfaff machines. and I recently gifted my granddaughter with my Kenmore recently.Do I have a large stash? THAT DEPENDS ON THE MEANING OF LARGE. LOL
Each person has different wants and needs. Mine are right for me and yours are right for you. If we all fit in the same circle or square, it would be overloaded with people. LOL.
I love this board and although I have been quilting/sewing/embroidering for years, each day I learn something new from all you wonderful people here. I feel this board is equivalent to a master's in fabric related crafts. I love to see what others create and the diversity of the projects. (I have several projects that I have finished in the past six months that I haven't posted due to my career or lack of getting around to it.)
In closing, and I apologize for the lengthy post, thank you all for your contributions and let's make all feel welcome and loved as I do. THANKS & GOD BLESS!!

QuiltFaerie 04-19-2013 06:50 AM

Alma,

You shouldn't and don't need to apologize for whatever machine you choose to sew on. I have friends that have Berninas and love them. Hey, they are lovely machines.

People should sew with what works best for them. It isn't a machine that makes for a snob, it is an attitude.

Gail

QuiltFaerie 04-19-2013 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6012378)
I had a very similar comment the other day at a class. Where is your bernina didn't hing you used a cheap viking. Oh I replied the bernina is at home because after have ing a car accident with it and damaging the machine I now travel with an excellent machine which if it needs replacing want cost an arm and a leg.
This board is great but I think sometimes because we come from such a wide geographical areas that jokes and the way we say things are miss understood. Mine are frequently and having dyslexia also doesn't help as my phrases in sentences are wrong ompared with others.

Awww Dotty, I was able to understand you perfectly. I am sure it is difficult to write with the dyslexia.

Hugs, Gail.

MimiBug123 04-19-2013 07:50 AM

Just like in life, there are those whose worth is measured by what they own. I am thankful to be blessed with the things I have, but if they were all gone tomorrow, life would go on. It's not about the journey, but it's about the destination. I hope the ones who think things equate with happiness still feel that way when they arrive at the end of the journey.