Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let's Talk Pieced Backings... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lets-talk-pieced-backings-t93043.html)

bjdemir 01-25-2011 08:17 PM

I also sometimes piece the backs. I try to use larger blocks so there are less seams on the back and try to keep seems to a minimum over the front seams. Sometimes I do use some of the same material on the back as to front and also will sometimes piece a picture of a cat or dog for the middle, just something whimsical for the back so it is not so boring to look at.

VernaL 01-25-2011 08:29 PM

I went to the Visions quilt show in Oceanside, CA today. It is about the ultimate of contemporary quilts. They had a GIANT Velda Newman quilt there that was spectacular. Anyway, we were with a white glove lady and she showed us the backs of some of these quilts. They had absolutely everything on the back. No one seemed to be concerned about the back. Some just had an iron on interfacing on the back. I'm sure none of these go on a bed. I've been to this show several times and this year's selections were great.

Ladyjanedoe 01-25-2011 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by JanG
I've started using UFO's for backings and love the look. I handquilt so no problem. Most of my UFO's are 1 1/2" to 2" squaressewn together. I knew I would never in this lifetime finish them so it makes me feel good to see the stack go down.

GREAT IDEA!!!

SharenT 01-26-2011 08:48 AM

I've used the medalion style for a quilt backing. I start with a fairly large block for the center and then just add strips on the top, bottom, and sides (just like borders) until it is the size needed. Good way to use up left over fabric from the top.

irma tapia 04-27-2011 02:29 PM

Question and I need help with this :roll:

I am making a lap top about 59x59 I have about 3 yards of fabric (pattern) thats in the top. My question is.......
should I cut the fabric WOF and piece it or what. I don't know why but I am always afraid to do this

TonnieLoree 04-27-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by meemersmom
I've done a couple of different things. On one log cabin, I made the backing one giant log cabin block. When I have leftover blocks (or material to make a few more) from the quilt top, I make a strip of those (either horizontal or vertical) to connect two smaller widths of fabric together. I have even taken odd-sized leftovers and just pieced until I had a large enough piece for backing. I buy wide backing, but only when its a deal too good to pass up.

Wow! That must have seemed like you were really building a life sized log cabin. Yikes! :wink:

Maurene 05-04-2011 09:23 PM

I just ordered the Easy Over book - am puttering along with a Canadian comfort and Remembrance project quilt - see online - 150 quilts for families of Cdn soldiers lost in Afghanistan - I think I'll do a large version of the block with borders for the back. Interesting backing is such a great idea!!