Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's Talk Pieced Backings... >

Let's Talk Pieced Backings...

Let's Talk Pieced Backings...

Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Banned

For the quilts I've made so far, I've either bought wide backing (108" ), or used one of the fabrics that is in the quilt and just sewn it together to make a piece big enough for the backing.

Having just rapidly grown my stash to sizeable proportions, most of the material that I have now is around 2 yards in size -- that's not going to be enough to make a backing from a single material, as I generally make larger quilts. And I don't want to spend money trying to find an extra large backing that will go with the rest of the quilt. So it sounds like I will need to start piecing backings.

For those of you that piece backings, what do you normally do? It seems like it should be a much simpler pattern than the front, yes? Do you try to match the front of quilt in any way? How intricate do you get with the back?

And for those of you using longarms that have dealt with this, is it difficult to make it so that the backing pattern isn't lopsided or off-kilter (on the frame), either vertically or horizontally? Any tips?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:50 AM

I have a large King top done that I need to send out to quilt. The blocks are 16" and too big to handle on a domestic and the pattern I want I need to work the whole block at one time. It's too big for wide fabric to cover all of it, let alone the extra width on the side for a longarm so I will need to piece it. It's a simple pattern of a rectangle in a square (Happy Hour I think it was called). I was thinking of the back just making one big rectangle in the square.

I neve thought of how easy/difficult it will be for the longarm quilter to make sure it's straight. I'll have to ask her.

Sue
Old 01-23-2011, 06:53 AM

would a king size sheet be large enough? i like them for backs sometimes.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:54 AM

Thank you asking your question. I would also like to know this information.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Banned

Great question. I think it's going to be a matter of personal preference more than anything on how each of us does our backing. As for me, I am still a fan of muslin. I often use top quality muslin for my backing. I get so many compliments on the quilts I give as gifts that the back of the quilt is so soft and comfy when they snuggle up under it. (Most of my quilts are lap quilts.). If I don't use muslin, I use whatever neutral fabric I used in the quilt top for the backing. Either way, I just piece together whatever I have to make the back big enough. Because it's all the same fabric, there is no pattern to the piecing. I just need to make it large enough.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:04 AM

I use a sheet for larger quilt backing.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I sometimes piece my backings and I don't think I have ever had a problem. Yes, you can use a sheet. If you do a sheet backing search I am sure you will find more info.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I am glad you asked this too. I am trying to be more frugal, and buying the larger backing can be expensive!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 AM

flannel sheets work too, really soft & cuddly. but wash them first!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 AM

I piece alot of my backs especially for flannel and I don't have a problem w/my longarm as long as they are pressed open no ridges.