Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions on pieced backings >

Opinions on pieced backings

Opinions on pieced backings

Old 03-11-2010, 05:43 PM

As much as I'd like to buy fabric that's extra wide...it's not going to happen anytime soon; so this is a more what's your opinion thread than anything else. I have no interest in making two tops so it's reversible.

I have very little experience in making backings for bed size quilts. I've done 3 twins and none of them came out like I wanted them to. My big project this year is going to be queen size and I don't want to stress how to make the back.

Here is what I know IS going to happen.

I'm probably going to have to buy between 8 and 9 yards for the backing. It's all going to be the same fabric. I'm going to have to piece it.

My question is this: is it easier to make a backing for a queen size quilt with seams running vertical on the bed or horizontal?

Either way, the most width I'm going to get by sewing two sections together is 88 inches. Is it possible to make a backing where the length of the fabric purchase is the same as the width of the quilt? Then multiply the length by how many of these width strips it will take to make the whole backing?

Did I just make this completely complicated? I'm going to need to know how to make bed size backings....so I might as well get everyone's opinions now.

What do you think?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:53 PM

If you piece the backing try to make sure the seam goes horizontally, less stress on the seam when pulling the quilt up. Also you could use three pieces of fabric sewing them horizontally and it will be wider than 88 inches. Large piece in the middle and cut off excess on each side. I hope this helps. I think there was an earlier post about pieced backings a few days ago. Go up to SEARCH and put in pieced backings.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 PM

refresh my memory, please:
What are the measurements of the quilts you are working with?
I have started making pieced backings and I have seen a LOT of quilt backings that have quilt blocks in them ...
The biggest thing to avoid is: A seam down the middle or across the middle of the quilt, reason being: most people fold a quilt up and the first thing they do is fold it in half, either lengthwise or crosswise, so that seam takes a lot of activity.
If you need more encouragement about pieced backings, I will be happy to share my journey from single fabric to using what I have to make a nice product. <wave>
Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM

http://www.maryquilts.com/off-center-4-patch-backing/

here is an idea for a pieced backing that shows part of what I was talking about <wave>
Old 03-11-2010, 06:26 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-19184-1.htm

one of the threads I found by going to "search" and typing in "Pieced backs" <wave>
Old 03-11-2010, 06:43 PM

I searched pieced backings and looked at all the threads listed. I like the idea of the tube backing, and I bookmarked the links listed.

http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-22690-1.htm

That second one is really wonderful....for all things yardage.

I do not want more than one fabric on the back. I like the look of just a plain back. I put a lot of work into the tops and the quilting and like a single color back so my handquilting can make a design on it. The one I'm making right now is going to end up queen size....around 100" square I think. I won't know until I'm done with it.

Maybe tubing with three lengths of the quilts is the way to go...then I'd have 132 inches...almost a yard wide than I'd need, but I'm all for building my stash, since I don't have much of one, and a full yard can make some serious binding too.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 AM

I am a new quilter, and this is probably not what you are supposed to do, but has worked so well for me. I buy inexpensive, but good quality individual flat sheets for the size quilt I need it for, and it works wonderfully for me!! Good luck!!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by kbiederman
I am a new quilter, and this is probably not what you are supposed to do, but has worked so well for me. I buy inexpensive, but good quality individual flat sheets for the size quilt I need it for, and it works wonderfully for me!! Good luck!!
Sheets work very well.
For handquilting, they are too many threads per inch to hand quilt easily.
Regarding needles: if you use a Jeans size needle 16/90 up to 18/100 ... extremely sharp, which is exactly what you need to stitch woven fabric.
If you are sewing on knitted fabric, you would use a ball point needle to avoid breaking the threads, but these needles will not work on woven fabric as efficiently as a sharp needle works on cotton (woven fabric). <wave>
Old 03-12-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by omak
http://www.maryquilts.com/off-center-4-patch-backing/

here is an idea for a pieced backing that shows part of what I was talking about <wave>
That was a cool one, Omak!! I like it a lot. I mostly do pieced backs, and I often do the large piece in the middle, two narrower pieces down the sides, or one large piece with one narrower piece vertically. I usually use all the same color, but a couple of times have used mixed fabrics. I like them all, with no real preference. It is, afterall, the BACK of the quilt! LOL :-D
Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by kbiederman
no quilt police here! i have done that also. no biggy. use what you have!
the best thing i had done was use a 50% off coupon and go in with a friend and buy a 90 wide muslin bolt. quick and cheap. i like both the bleached and un-bleached types. sure is nice to not have to piece the backs, or spend money i don't really have to buy matching fabrics for the backs! i don't usually go over 90 wide,since i quilt them myself. when i do make a bigger one, i go in and get the 108 wide muslin, with a coupon and just get what i need.