Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let's talk proportion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lets-talk-proportion-t12970.html)

Celeste 11-06-2008 05:38 PM

What is the "rule of thumb" for the size of borders to squares, sashing, and (dang, having a blonde moment) what ever that part of the quilt is called when you sew fabric all around the outside? Some people use one color and others will use a couple of different sizes.

Hope this all made sense!

CissyQuilts 11-06-2008 06:31 PM

Hmm, I don't think there is a rule of thumb. I've seen borders in all sizes. I've seen single borders and multiple borders. I think it depends on what you like and what looks best with your pattern.

Boston1954 11-06-2008 07:16 PM

I do whatever pleases my eyes.

babeegirl 11-06-2008 07:34 PM

yeah, size matters :mrgreen:

tlrnhi 11-06-2008 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by babeegirl
yeah, size matters :mrgreen:

Only if you use Cyalis. lmao

I, for one, don't think it matters as long as YOU Like it.

Celeste 11-06-2008 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by CissyQuilts
Hmm, I don't think there is a rule of thumb. I've seen borders in all sizes. I've seen single borders and multiple borders. I think it depends on what you like and what looks best with your pattern.

Thanks Cissy, Boston, Babeegirl and Tirnhi.

This is tough though, cause I'd sure like to know how much fabric I need to buy when planning a quilt. :x

mic-pa 11-07-2008 03:42 AM

Do you mean the binding. Which is the final step in making the quilt. I always plan on 3/4 yd for the binding. Also I have made my borders many different sizes. Sometimes a 3in. one followed by a 1 1/2 in. one then a four inch one. Also I have put flying geese up a third of the border on one side and did the same on the other. Gave it an interesting look. Just use your imagination and go for it.

Quilt4u 11-07-2008 04:01 AM

I all was look at the pattern when it is done and try different fabrics to see what I like.

fabricluvr 11-07-2008 04:03 AM

This is tough though, cause I'd sure like to know how much fabric I need to buy when planning a quilt.
i do the math quickly in the shop (i carry a small calculator)

for example - 40" X 40" finished size wall hanging

if you cut selvage to selvage, you're gonna get about 40" of length per cut. so one cut would do each side of this wall hanging (for a border). so whatever your width of border is going to be, take that times four. a 3" border x 4 = 12". then add a another 3" for cutting errors, etc. = 15"

same thing with binding, except you need to add a couple of inches to each side for calculating purposes if you mitre the corners and for overlap to make the final seam. i most always use 2.5" strips for my bindings. so if you add up all four sides of the unbound quilt 4 X 40" = 160". add 8" for corners/overlap. 168" divided by 40" (width of your fabric) = 4.2 strips that you will need to get around that quilt. then take the 5 (4.2 rounded up) strips X 2.5" per strip = 12.5" of fabric.

so for the 3" border and binding for a 40" wallhanging i would want to buy 1 yard of fabric to get the 27.5" i need. and i would have a few inches extra for cutting errors/stash.

keep in mind that these numbers are inflated because the FINISHED size is 40" by 40" which i used to calculate the borders. also, most fabrics you'll get 41-42" from a cut, but i use 40" to make SURE i have enough.

Craftybug 11-07-2008 04:55 AM

Terri, don't get them started :lol: :lol: