Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Let's talk proportion

Blog Entries
    What is the "rule of thumb" for the size of borders to squares, sashing, and (dang, having a blonde moment) what ever that part of the quilt is called when you sew fabric all around the outside? Some people use one color and others will use a couple of different sizes.

Hope this all made sense!

Hmm, I don't think there is a rule of thumb. I've seen borders in all sizes. I've seen single borders and multiple borders. I think it depends on what you like and what looks best with your pattern.

I do whatever pleases my eyes.

Banned
    yeah, size matters :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by babeegirl
    yeah, size matters :mrgreen:
    Only if you use Cyalis. lmao

I, for one, don't think it matters as long as YOU Like it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CissyQuilts
    Hmm, I don't think there is a rule of thumb. I've seen borders in all sizes. I've seen single borders and multiple borders. I think it depends on what you like and what looks best with your pattern.
    Thanks Cissy, Boston, Babeegirl and Tirnhi.

This is tough though, cause I'd sure like to know how much fabric I need to buy when planning a quilt. :x

Do you mean the binding. Which is the final step in making the quilt. I always plan on 3/4 yd for the binding. Also I have made my borders many different sizes. Sometimes a 3in. one followed by a 1 1/2 in. one then a four inch one. Also I have put flying geese up a third of the border on one side and did the same on the other. Gave it an interesting look. Just use your imagination and go for it.

Blog Entries
    I all was look at the pattern when it is done and try different fabrics to see what I like.

This is tough though, cause I'd sure like to know how much fabric I need to buy when planning a quilt.
    i do the math quickly in the shop (i carry a small calculator)

for example - 40" X 40" finished size wall hanging

if you cut selvage to selvage, you're gonna get about 40" of length per cut. so one cut would do each side of this wall hanging (for a border). so whatever your width of border is going to be, take that times four. a 3" border x 4 = 12". then add a another 3" for cutting errors, etc. = 15"

same thing with binding, except you need to add a couple of inches to each side for calculating purposes if you mitre the corners and for overlap to make the final seam. i most always use 2.5" strips for my bindings. so if you add up all four sides of the unbound quilt 4 X 40" = 160". add 8" for corners/overlap. 168" divided by 40" (width of your fabric) = 4.2 strips that you will need to get around that quilt. then take the 5 (4.2 rounded up) strips X 2.5" per strip = 12.5" of fabric.

so for the 3" border and binding for a 40" wallhanging i would want to buy 1 yard of fabric to get the 27.5" i need. and i would have a few inches extra for cutting errors/stash.

keep in mind that these numbers are inflated because the FINISHED size is 40" by 40" which i used to calculate the borders. also, most fabrics you'll get 41-42" from a cut, but i use 40" to make SURE i have enough.

Terri, don't get them started :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Celeste, the rule of thumb would apply to the quilt police only...that is if there is such a thing as rule of thumb :lol: :lol:

I just do whatever I think looks the best with what I am working on at the time. I find that I tend to like multiple borders and I usually like about a 3 or 4 inch border on the outside...no matter what. :wink:

Banned
    I checked out a book from the library called Borders and Finishinng Touches by Bonnie K. Browning. Lots of information and ideas.

Power Poster
    In answer to the question: How much fabric to buy for borders and binding?

This is one of those questions where the answer is "it depends"

I prefer to use strips cut lengthwise for the borders and I prefer not to piece the borders. Of course, if I'm short of fabric, I am perfectly capable of improvising.

Do you want to miter the corners or not? Do you put the side borders on before the end borders or vice-versa?

Does the pattern you are using give any guidelines for how much to buy?
    Or are you improvising?

I usually put a fairly wide binding on my quilts - and I cut the strips about 2.875 inches wide (2 7/8") I like to cut my binding fabric on the bias. Do you cut your bindings on the bias or on grain?

So much math!!! :)

Celeste...I always buy more fabric than I need any way...so I have plenty or make sure I can get more....and I make mine what ever pleases me....hope this helped..and good luck girl

I base a lot of the widths of the borders (and I LOVE borders and use LOTS of them) on elements in the block. And try to pull elements from the block out to a border. Use the same sizes from the block in the border, it never fails and always looks good.

Power Poster
    See - it still depends on what you want to do!