Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Let's talk Turkey!! >

Let's talk Turkey!!

Let's talk Turkey!!

Old 11-15-2007, 04:53 AM

I have one of those Hamilton Beach roaster ovens that I cook my turkey in each year and each year the dadburn thing don't brown! Does anyone know a secret to browning a turkey in one of these things? I've tried basting it, buttering it up prior to roasting....the only thing I haven't done is spray paint it! LOL
Old 11-15-2007, 06:45 AM

I always cook mine in the oven. I would think that putting it in the regular oven after the roaster will brown it without it getting overdone on the outside.

I always cook a 22+ pound turkey. I doubt it would fit in your roaster oven! LOL
Old 11-15-2007, 06:51 AM

Wendy.....mine will fit up to a 22 lb turkey....but this year my sister brought over a 24 lb one....so don't know if it will fit or not! LOL That will create yet another issue!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 AM

If you want my recipe for oven roasted turkey, let me know!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:21 AM

Try a basting glaze with soy sauce and a bit of honey toward the end of the roasting time. The soy really colors the skin.

And Wendy, I'd love your turkey recipe. I make turkey in some form almost weekly!

Chele
Old 11-15-2007, 07:51 AM

Yeah, Wendy, post it please! Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 AM

Okay, here's what I do for Thanksgiving.

I roast my turkey without stuffing in it. It cooks better that way, and it is safer. Wet stuffing can make people sick.

I wash and dry the turkey inside and out, then I coat it with olive oil. I rub a mixture of sea salt, cracked black pepper and ground sage all over the inside and the outside. I don't measure. I eyeball or feel mostly when I cook.

I put quartered white onion, carrots and celery inside, with a long sprig of fresh Rosemary. (I grow the Rosemary just for this purpose.) I also put those in the bottom of the pan, under the roasting rack. The carrots add such a nice flavor and color to the juices for nice colored gravy!

I pour one can of chicken broth in the bottom of the pan, and a splash inside the turkey, cover it with heavy foil and roast it in the oven. Every hour or so, I pour more chicken broth over the turkey and stir the bottom of the pan so nothing sticks and burns.

A half hour before it is done, I remove the foil so the skin browns and throw sliced mushrooms in the drippings so I will have mushroom gravy.

When it is done, I strain out the veggies, setting the mushrooms aside. Make the gravy with flour paste/water and add the mushrooms back in, along with salt and pepper to taste.

That's it. I used to be so terrified of making Thanksgiving dinner, but it is really so easy, and turkey is so inexpensive this way, I will usually make two or three more turkeys before Easter.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:14 AM

YUM! I am definitely printing that recipe. The gravy sounds the best!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 AM

I basicly do the same except no mushrooms because of the kids, also i use corn starch and water for the gravy..........no lumps that way and I use bell's poultry seasonings instead of sage........I put celery onions and more seasonings inside. I cook the giblets in a pan on top of the stove and chop to add to the gravy. I also add some of this to the stuffing which I bake in a bowl :D
Old 11-15-2007, 11:58 AM
bj

Ooh! Can I come to y'all's house. My family all got a stomach virus last year and threatened my life if I ever made them eat or smell turkey again. Looks like we're having enchiladas this year :) !