Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Let's talk Turkey!! >

Let's talk Turkey!!

Let's talk Turkey!!

Old 11-15-2007, 12:01 PM

Oh NO bj!! Was it from the turkey or something going around?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:03 PM

I usually saute the giblets in with the onions and celery and mix it all in the stuffing...I do stuff my bird with regular crouton stuffing and then I also make stove top cuz we always run out otherwise.... but I buy the chicken not the turkey stuffing!

I make my gravey with the flour and water thickening and I am the opposite of Ruth ...its because with cornstarch...I somehow manage to get lumpy gravy! LOL I use a Tupperware gravy shaker for the mixture and never have lumps! I always get compliments on my gravy...so don't have an issue with that...just the browning!

I'm going to try to make a basting mixture this year...using some ideas here..the soy sauce maybe with melted butter seasoned too....and I think I will try baking it for the first 30 min in the oven... told my hubby about that idea and he said we should give it a try....

We have one of those big deep fryers but have never done a deep fried turkey for thanksgiving....only chickens. I know that would be browned! LOL
Old 11-15-2007, 12:06 PM

Wow BJ that sounds scary! Knock wood, I don't believe anyone has ever gotten sick from eating one of my turkeys.. hope they never do either! I would sure feel awful.

Wendy, thanks for posting your recipe.....I've never heard of putting the veggies in with it before.....but I do that with any other kind of roasted meat so why not turkey!!! Sounds good!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:10 PM
bj

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
Oh NO bj!! Was it from the turkey or something going around?
I'd worry it was the turkey, but grandson and dil were sick when we got there and didn't eat any and it just went the rounds...dh to son to friend 1 to friend 2 and stopped before it got to me and I did eat turkey. The rest of them were pretty sick puppies!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:21 PM

This isn't anything that was wrong with the turkey I cooked...but I thought of it and I'm sitting here chuckling to myself and thought I'd share my turkey experience...

I always stuff my turkey, and this one Christmas, I couldn't find my turkey skewers so I sewed it with a needle and thread. I was cleaning up after the turkey was in the oven and I guess I didn't realize that the needle had fallen onto the mat in front of my sink.

Later in the day I went to make coffee and I felt this pinch in my big toe, I looked down and sure enough, The needle had pierced my toe and gone right through it. Well I into the screaming, so much that my husband came running into the kitchen. I had my foot up in the air, and was screaming at him..."get it out, it hurts! Get that thing out of me...pull it out!"

Well he did pull the needle out and while he was putting peroxide on my toe,I started laughing...I think for a minute he thought I was getting hysterical or something...but started laughing when I told him it was a good thing the window was closed or the neighbors would have been wondering what the heck we were doing in the kitchen with me screaming at him to pull that thing out of me, it hurts! LOL

After that I always make sure I find my skewers well ahead of time.. ;)
Old 11-15-2007, 12:25 PM

I do remember about 10 years ago I was sick with something Thanksgiving day and was SO worried I would pass it along if I prepared the turkey so I made hubby do it all! Well, he had help from my daughter and my sister too... I slept thru dinner...when I woke up the dishes were done and everything! I've never been that sick before or since.... don't have a clue what it was but nobody else got sick after that.....I have to believe its cuz I didn't touch a thing or they might have!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:08 PM

OH me too! Its 4 or 5 am here when the bird goes in! but this year....we are having a late dinner....cuz ....well,......there's football on at 11:30 and probably won't get over til 2:30 or 3....so what comes first the turkey or the football game!!? LOL Packer fans are SO easy to please, just don't try to get them to the dinner table at half time!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:33 PM
MCH

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

Have any of you ever cooked your turkey (I'm referring to the traditional Thanksgiving dinner bird. But, pun intended...) in a Weber grill? That's been my modus operandi for years. It's so easy...especially since my DH is in charge of that. We came to this arrangement several years ago when I "fussed" that baking the turkey in the oven made it hard to get the pies and homemade rolls into the oven in a timely manner.

Being an engineer who loves to solve problems and be my hero, he suggested that we put that bird on the Weber. Good idea. He just looked at the Weber cook book...and Voila! Problem solved.

I have a large, flat, sturdy metal roasting pan into which I just plop the turkey (after I've "trusseed" it with skewers and twine). I do nothing to the bird other than making sure that it has been rinsed well, inside and out.

Then, using extra heavy duty Reynolds aluminum foil, I tear off 2 stirps of foil that are long enough to go over the turkey and to tuck over the handles on the end of the pan. I lay those pieces of foil, one on top of the other with the long edges even. Taking one side of the foil "stack" I fold about 1/2" the foil toward me and smooth it. I repeat the process, making a double fold.

I carefully open the to "joined" sheets and drape them over the turkey, "pinching" the foil to the pan. It takes a bit of time, but the object is to get the turkey completely covered and the pan sealed.

My husband puts the wrapped turkey on the prepared Weber, puts his meat thermometer into the turkey through the foil, and shuts the lid. He only opens the grill so as to check whether or not he needs to add more charcoal. He uses his wireless meat thermometer so that he doesn't even have to go outside to check the internal temperature of the bird.

We have the wireless thermometer more for convenience than necessity...as we live in the SF Bay area and it's usually about 65 degrees on Thanksgiving.

Thus, I have my kitchen and oven free to bake and putter with all the other stuff of the day.

When the turkey is done, we just bring it in the pan into the house and remove the foil. The bird is perfectly and beautifully golden brown, moist and tender. The pan has a large amount of "drippings" that make a good "pour" over the turkey, should somone want that. We're not big gravy fans at our house.

The point is that I don't do anything special to the turkey before cooking. Cooking it on the Weber causes it to look like a Norman Rockwell turkey, keeps it moist, and preserves the mild taste.

It has no "smokey" taste at all. We left the foil off one year...not a good idea since we don't like smoked turkey.

This method works well if the temperature outside is relatively mild. We tried this once when we lived in the Chicago area...the cold air temp made it nearly impossible to keep the grill hot enough to cook the bird.

Anyway, this method removes a hassle for me and my DH continues to be my hero! Now, that's something for which we're both thankful!

Madolyn

Old 11-16-2007, 02:55 AM

Madolyn....what area of the country are you in? LOL Sorry, but it made me giggle to picture me (hubby don't cook outside either!) running outside with my parka on to check the turkey! LOL

I just saw that you did say something about the outdoor temp! LOL
Old 11-16-2007, 04:51 AM

I watched Rachel Ray last year......and this is something I had never heard of before. she boned her turkey and put it in a large fry pan and cooked 45 min........

When my brother was alive he had a large smoker.......the charcoal was in the bottom then the turkey above it ; and above that was a fresh ham that dripped on the turkey and kept it moist.

There are so many ways to gook a great turkey............but this year My daughter is cooking.....or I mean hubby is............my fAVORITE. Food always tastes better when you don't have to cook.

Everone tell us about what your plan is this year......... this is fun.........what are your sides :?: