Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Light box (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/light-box-t281917.html)

SewingSew 09-03-2016 06:49 PM

I have an Artograph Light Tracer2, and it works great for my purposes. The size is 12" x 18". I bought it on Amazon and I think it cost about $100.

quiltingcandy 09-03-2016 07:24 PM

I asked for one for Christmas about 4 years ago, my DH found one at Aaron Brothers - it wasn't too expensive but it has a slight slant light a writing table. It is a Light Tracer 2 12"x18". I kept the box it came in since it has a handle and makes it easier to store.

kathdavis 09-03-2016 08:46 PM

Several years ago, I bought the bigger one from JoAnn's and since I love to applique I use it all of the time. It was about $50 but I used a coupon and got if for around half price. The new ones now are much thinner. I would go for as big of one as I could afford and store so you don't have to keep adjusting your pattern.

K-Roll 09-04-2016 12:29 AM

I bought an 8.5 x 11 Porta Trace (panel lightbox) from Amazon. I like it, very well made in USA but it's not real lightweight, it's 5 lbs. Nice and bright.

Just looked & they are now selling it for $40 over what I paid in June. I guess they jack the price up for the academic/school year...:shock:

kyquiltlover1942 09-04-2016 02:53 AM

I sit a lamp on the floor under my sewing machine table, push my machine out of my way and put a piece of plexiglass over the opening. Been doing this for years to make my applique pieces. If you have a hundred watt bulb you can see through most prints.

Friday1961 09-04-2016 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7644446)
My light box, for years was something taped to the patio door.
Then I progressed really uptown by using a leftover piece of window glass propped on 2 stacks of books with my Ott light shoved under it.
Lost the glass in the last move so I now use a piece of plexiglass on the same books with a 6" round tap-on-stick-up light underneath.

Jan in VA

I actually have a light box that I bought years ago, but making your own and using the 6 inch round tap on light is a great idea! No moving table lamps or your Ott light. These little lights are also easy to store. Thanks, Jan!

maviskw 09-04-2016 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by MeadowMist (Post 7644377)
Thank you for all the suggestions. Making my own sounds like a great way to save money (which I really need to do) but since I've never even used one of these and I have no idea at all how they even work (lamps? glass? lasagna dishes, table leaves?) I'm probably going to be better off buying one and hoping it comes with good directions.
Are any of them made specifically for fabric or are any many in such a way that they shouldn't be used for fabric?
Thx

Before you spend money on one, I would try some of these ideas. A piece of glass over the opened table sounds like the safest bet to try it. Or the piece of glass supported by books or boxes sounds good, too. Just try to use a light that doesn't get too hot.

One thing nobody has mentioned is that if you put that light under the glass, it will be shining in your eyes when your project doesn't fit the entire top space. So put a sheet of white paper over the glass before you lay your project on it. Easier on the eyes.

And the light doesn't know if you have fabric or paper or whatever on top of it, so go for it.

Blackberry 09-04-2016 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by MeadowMist (Post 7644251)
I'm going to do an embroidery quilt which I saw and fell in love with, but I will need to buy a light box to trace the pattern. I think this will be a good investment for me because I'd like to do other similar projects with embroidery.

But where to I start? Can anyone point me in the right direction. I checked out Jo-Ann's web site and they have a few light boxes. Are they all created equal? What should I be looking for? I haven't a clue how to go about it. I don't even know what features to look for because I don't know what features they have.

Here's a link to the quilt I want to make if you'd like to see it.

http://www.primitivequiltcellar.com/...y_Pattern.html

I made one using a sheet of Plexiglas, sit it on top of a vegetable can in each corner and put a string of while Christmas tree lights underneath. Works fine for me.

romanojg 09-04-2016 05:25 AM

I have a storage container, clear with a lid,. I put a battery operated led light in it and it works fine. I've heard others who opened up their tables where the leaves go, put a clear piece of plexi glass there and a lamp underneath

lynndianne 09-04-2016 05:29 AM

Someone gave me one (actually used to see x-rays) 17 years ago. Just started using it. Works great. I used to use a big window to trace