Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Light weight coverlet quilt??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/light-weight-coverlet-quilt-t264546.html)

AZ Jane 04-29-2015 07:00 AM

Yes, you can make a quilt without batting, they are generally called summer quilts or coverlets. Without batting the quilting will not show as much, so heavy quilting is not needed.

wildyard 04-29-2015 08:13 AM

My mother and grandmother made summer coverlets using a sheet as the inner layer. When a sheet became too used/thin to work on the bed any longer, it was set aside and then used as the "batting" for the summer quilts. The backing was often several feedsacks stitched together and the front was pieced. These were generally tied.

mac 04-29-2015 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana (Post 7180698)
Dumb question: What is EPP?

I'm with EmiliasNana, what does EPP mean?

quiltsRfun 04-29-2015 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by mac (Post 7180980)
I'm with EmiliasNana, what does EPP mean?

English paper piecing

busy fingers 04-29-2015 01:25 PM

I often use flannelette as a wading in what I call "an in-between season" quilt.

It gives a lovely finish when quilted- a bit more than just 2 layers - and is a good weight for when you need more than just a sheet type weather.

mac 04-29-2015 02:06 PM

Thank you for the translation.
mac

Jackie R 04-29-2015 05:54 PM

I've used pre-washed flannel for batting in light weight quilts - works nicely.

oldtnquiltinglady 04-30-2015 07:23 AM

I recently made a couch throw for one of my GGDIL, and just used a pieced top in the pattern she had had a fit over on one of my FB posts and flannel on the back and minimal machine quilting overall. She absolutely loves it--and I'll be making more because we do have several Texas families in our circle. It was so easy, and quick throw-together gift for a recent trip I made down there--I always take an extra suitcase full of gifts to scatter around during all the fun get-togethers they always plan for me. I do love being bragged on for the quilts I make and give out as gifts.....

jojo47 05-08-2015 10:52 AM

Ladies, thank you for all the helpful hints an summer quilts! I have supplies on hand to make on for our queen-size bed, but was wondering about batting. Now I just have to decided...flannel batting or no batting. I'll think on it a bit.

cathyvv 05-08-2015 11:32 AM

For a lightweight quilt, I purchase the thin light weight fleece that Walmart carries and use that for the batting. It's up to 60" wide (check width before buying though), so if your quilts are going to be less than 60 inches wide, it works well. You also don't have to worry about it bunching up in the case that you didn't tie or quilt it close enough together.

I'm not sure if cross-grain and length-wise grain terms apply to knits, though, so will suggest that you determine which direction the fleece is least stretchy and put it in the quilt sandwich so as to have the LEAST stretch in the fleece when quilting or tying. I almost always spray or pin baste when using the light weight fleece as batting as it tends to be slippery when quilting, especially if it's not being quilted on a frame.