Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lightweight machine to travel? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lightweight-machine-travel-t231287.html)

ORSunshineQuilter 09-30-2013 07:12 AM

While I miss all the features on my bigger machines, I always take my Featherweight because it is so much lighter to carry around. I have a couple of friends who have low end Janomes and they like them a lot. That way, you get a lighter machine but also things like automatic stitches and thread cutter, etc.

Debbr63 09-30-2013 08:40 AM

Viking has a small travel machine 100q. I love this little machine. It has a few extra stitches , needle up/down, needle threader....I really enjoy sewing on this one. Deb

Pete 09-30-2013 09:18 AM

I have a Janome that cost $49 at Hancock's weighs 4 lbs and I can lift with 2 fingers. I have a bad back and could not take my Singer or Bernina. This does great for classes.

krissr 09-30-2013 10:17 AM

I have a small brother sewing/embroidery machine. It weight seven pounds. The cover is a table when in use. LOVE IT

pegquilter8 09-30-2013 11:35 AM

Oh No, go for a Janome 3160 or 4120. Both are excellent little workhorses and they both come with cutters! Turned in a 1 year old Jem just to get the cutter.
Good Luck

Tiggersmom 09-30-2013 01:11 PM

featherweight Blues

I have a featherweight. A great reputation but I also have a buyer beware!

I purchased mine off ebay and as soon as it arrived had to have it serviced and spend money on it for a broken part we didn't know about. Then my dgd broke the needle,:( more money out of the pocket as the alignment was off, forgetting it had had a broken needle, I took it to my first real quilt retreat and she wouldn't sew! Not the poor FW problem, but I spent the first day trying to get it to work. A friend had pity on me and loaned me her machine as she was in the handwork stages of her project.
I took her to class locally for a few times and really realized I missed my needle up/down, etc so I thought I would clean her up and sell her.:thumbup: I was doing a great job when I couldn't get a certain part removed to clean it so I asked hubby to remove the item for me, long story short, he broke a Vital part and I had to send to England for a gently used part that a very nice man shipped to us who does that for a living...........so now, I probably have a $750++++ machine that I will never get my money out of!
:mad:

I hope I have not stepped on anyones toes about their Featherwts, this is just what happened to me, and I know many ladies that absolutely LOVE their machines.

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface (Post 6319110)
I will check out the brother machines. I am a bit concerned no let's say I have no knowledge of featherweights. I see pictures posted on the board of vintage singer sewing machines and wonder if those are the featherweights ?
Some are very pretty and some look as though they need to see an electrician and a degree in engineering when it comes to threading, winding the bobbin , and setting the tensions.

Tiggersmom 09-30-2013 02:18 PM

OOps, I didn't answer the question posted........I take my Babylock Elizabeth, she doesn't weigh that much and does all those extra things I've grown accustom to having, needle up/down, leg lift, etc, etc.

Teacup 09-30-2013 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat (Post 6321725)
I have a featherweight and love her. But for versatility, I really like the Brother cs6000i I purchased from Amazon for $139.00. Although I usually do mainly straight stitching there are times when having a zigzag or serpentine stitch is nice, and I love the needle down feature when doing something complicated. I use both of them equally. I think if I could only have one, I'd go with the Brother. BTW, I use both several times a week since I often piece quilts while watching videos, and they fit on a small TV type table.

Another vote here for Brother cs6000i! Hubby got it for me at Walmart at least 7 years ago. You can get on Amazon also. Do a search here on QB, online and an Amazon and read the reveiws. If you don't want to spend much and want light weight, I recommend it. Lots of nice features for the money.

EdieClay 09-30-2013 04:12 PM

I just bought a Pfaff Passport to carry back and forth to quilting class. I really like it and I can handle it easily. If you have a Pfaff dealer in your area, you might want to try one out.

My time 09-30-2013 07:04 PM

My choice is a Brother CS6000i. It's $149 at Walmart. My daughter loved mine so well she bought one.