Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lightweight machine to travel? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lightweight-machine-travel-t231287.html)

My time 09-30-2013 07:26 PM

In Canada you cannot buy a FW for $100, and her question is regarding an AFFORDABLE light weight machine.

Redsquirrel 09-30-2013 09:17 PM

Featherweight all the way. Don't have to worry about anything getting busted. They work and they have a nice stitch. That and its fun to get all the ladies coming over to look at it and compliment you on your machine. It just feels good.

Redsquirrel 09-30-2013 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel (Post 6323629)
Featherweight all the way. Don't have to worry about anything getting busted. They work and they have a nice stitch. That and its fun to get all the ladies coming over to look at it and compliment you on your machine. It just feels good.

And I found mine in Calgary for $50 at a thriftstore. I've seen them for as low as $150 on Kijiji.

Suziuki 10-01-2013 03:26 PM

I have a Janome Memory Craft 3500 which is a little too heavy to travel with, so bought a Janome Gem (the shop I purchased it from called it a 3/4 machine) which has been fantastic as I discovered that everything is interchangeable with the 3500 including the power cord and the foot control which was handy when a wire broken in the 3500 foot control I just used the Gem control until I had the 3500 control repaired. I have also found the Gem to be very good in teaching young people to sew as it has a speed control which they love when they are first learning.

JustAbitCrazy 10-03-2013 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by lswan (Post 6321715)
Check out the Kenmore 1040, it was made in the 70s. It is small, has a cute white case, but is very powerful. The advantage, it has a zig zag. I got mine on eBay, cleaned it and it is just terrific, all metal construction inside and out. Do not buy new plastic, they will loosen and not do decent straight stitch, they can't due to the plastic guts. I paid $100 for my, as we call it, Ketherweight. The Featherweights are good, just more expensive. I have tuned a fair number of them.

I did a lot of research before buying my "travel" machine, and I did the same thing: bought a Kenmore 1040 on ebay. I don't remember what I paid for it, but this Kenmore "featherweight" was a much better value than a Singer Featherweight, imho. It has the zigzag stitches, a much stronger motor, and doesn't cost nearly what the Singer Featherweight does. It's a bit heavier machine, so you don't have to chase it all over the tabletop while in use. And I just love how the attachments box flips to become a small table surface! It also has a small flip up side surface. Love, love, love it! It's an adorable workhorse. Check one out.

sheepla 10-03-2013 04:27 AM

I have the Janome Gem Gold and it is a great little machine for classes but has a very limited number of stitches. I am going to upgrade soon to the Pfaff Passport, though that's not in your stated price range. A lightweight machine for travel is a must!