Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/likes-dislikes-quilt-shops-t90887.html)

maidmirian 01-16-2011 05:29 AM

Books and Kits that my thing! Lots of fabrics that you can see. Can I come to work for you?

JJs 01-16-2011 05:40 AM

I remembered another one - prices on EVERYTHING... you may be independently wealthy - but I am not, and I cannot buy it just because I want it with no regard to price...
If I come in to browse I don't want to have to keep asking the price of something...
And don't change the price of 'whatever'... (unless it's on sale) - don't let the customer get to the cutting table and say "oh, this is supposed to be marked suchandso"... (believe me it has happened, guess what?, I didn't buy the fabric)

And if I ask for something don't say, "We can order it" - you know what, so can I.... and probably much cheaper than the LQS will sell it

Mkotch 01-16-2011 05:44 AM

"Nice to see you again" - that warmed my heart and brings me back to a shop 45 min. from my house. I pass by 3 other shops to get there.

Open on Sundays for working people. In fact, open consistently. Nothing's worse than arriving at posted hours to find the place closed for no apparent reason. I hate having to call first to make sure they are open.

Calling or emailing me to tell me a fabric that they ran out of is in. Offering to mail me more when I run out so I don't have to drive 45 min.

A place to put down your bolts of fabric if you are buying or auditioning a bunch. This place should not also serve as the cutting or paying counter so as not to create a bottle neck for others.

A nice variety of fabric, some of which may NOT be the style of the owner(s). Just because you like "country" doesn't mean everybody else does!

A sale area, and discounts for birthdays (mine gives me a percentage off that's 1/2 of my age).

Lisa773 01-16-2011 05:49 AM

Aside from the usual "wants" in a quilt shop, I would have to say that being friendly is at the top of the list.
I have shopped at my local JoAnns and had the girl at the cutting counter be so friendly and helpful. The first thing she asks is what I'm working on and will walk through the fabrics with you to help you find what you need.
I have shopped my LQS and was never spoken to until I was at the checkout. They weren't snobs, just not personable.
I am so much more inclined to return to a store that is welcoming and helpful, but not pushy.
Oh yeah, have plenty of quilts on display!!!

sewitseams 01-16-2011 05:49 AM

the one thing i dislike about one of my lqs is the fact that the owner talks the whole time i'm shopping. i find that very distracting and annoying. greet me when i come in the door, say a few words to make me feel welcome, then let me look around and take in all the lovely fabrics. sometimes i go to a lqs just to pick up one quick item, but enjoy a little "me time" at the same time.

purrfectquilts 01-16-2011 05:52 AM

FAVORITES: Friendly, helpful, smiling faces, space to move around in, carts to carry your fabric, place to sit and rest in between, restroom, made up samples, sale table, organization so I can find things, parking and easy entrance (no steps), good lighting, consistent shop policies,cut don't rip, classes free and paid

PET PEEVES: Shops with no room to get around and no carts, snotty owners and clerks who only seem to like you if you take all their classes, unprofessional and unorganized shop policies, no place to rest or use the restroom, mixed up display (i.e. whites in 4 or 5 places or rooms instead of all together), places that treat you like dirt after they have made a mistake like it was your fault instead of theirs and then refuse to make it right besides

Another thing I don't like is notices of sales without enough time to react. Whether online or in this city, I am constantly getting notices on the morning of a sale that will say "good only today or maybe two days." If you are on a fixed income, that is not enough time to take advantage of anything. In contrast, there is a shop in Alabama that used to have a specific day when things were marked down. You could plan ahead to take advantage of that day.

damaquilts 01-16-2011 06:01 AM

Sounds like everyone covered all the basis. Friendly is #1 for me. Treat me right and I will be back even if I only have the money to buy a fat quarter but I will talk your shop up to everyone I meet.

About 4 years ago my brother took me to Kansas to see my grandaughter we also went to Denver to see a sister I hadn't seen in a very long time. On the way we passed Golden. We went to the museum there and when we came out there was a fabric store I believe across the street. The lady was closing up but let us go in anyway. She was very sweet and friendly even though I don't think I bought anything. I did try and hurry but she didn't not rush us out. That is the kind of shop I like to go to. :-)

bbquilter 01-16-2011 06:08 AM

Very smart to ask this question. I agree with much of the comments, but especially the regular hours and friendly workers.
I wish you well, I worked at my moms quilt shop for 9 years and the customer service is very important. If you can, carry sewing machines and do service. Move the fabric around alot to help folks see a different view of it. We all get stuck in a color rut.

grann of 6 01-16-2011 06:14 AM

I think the #1 thing would be to provide what we can't get in our internet shopping and that is good customer service. I like when I go in my LQS and the clerk who has been waiting on me for years says, "And what complicated project are you working on now?" She turns to other customers and tells them about my work. It flatters me, don't know that I am really THAT good, but it keeps me coming back. The clerks also must be willing to help out customers with color choices and any other questions they might have. I also wish more quilt shops were open on Mondays. That is my "play day" A couple around here are closed on Monday AND Tuesday. Those are my days to shop or go to doctors. The rest of the week is my working time on sewing projects, etc.

Spice 01-16-2011 06:15 AM

I am fortunate.The LQS in Batavia, IL has great fabrics, friendly employees, washroom, samples, sale fabric, (color sticker on end of bolts with list on wall as to the discount. Discount changes monthly.) Book section with chairs and table.
No charge sew-ins once or twice a month. 6-11 pm. The shop has a sign in for these so it doesn't get too crowded. She went from one to two nights a month so I thinking sales on those night are good. Everyone brings something to share so doesn't add expense to shop. Lots of classes at different times and a LA to rent or have your quilt done for you.
They will ask if you want a bag because if you don't they add a button to a jar and they donate a nickle per button to a charity. Also do charity sew-ins in the shop. (quilts of valor, conker cancer pillowcases and project Linus)
Staff is always willing to help when you need it and are open late on Thursdays. Also has a coupon book. One page per month. Coupons vary a little each month but have % off cut of fabric, buy one thread get 2nd half off. % off sale item, deal on LA rental, etc. The book is 10.00 for the year but if you spend 100.00 at annual birthday sale you get it free. And their sale is always great.
And now they sell chocolate too.