Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   on-line classes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/line-classes-t17096.html)

butterflywing 03-04-2009 01:21 PM

thank you, no.

just generalizing. i just watched a kaye wood video with joanne hawley visiting. she showed a very interesting method using something she called an 'a' piece and a 'b' piece. also watched kaye wood cut and sew hexes in a very unusual way. if you get her email, there's always a new teaching video. if you don't get her newsletter, do sign up.

Shirl43 03-05-2009 02:14 PM

I've taken several online classes from Quilt University, they have wonderful teachers and classes. You will have time to print lessons, ask questions and do your project in time. Classes are usually going on for 6 to 8 weeks. Shirley.

Rose Marie 03-06-2009 06:53 AM

The videos on Qnntv are the same as you would see on television if they showed all these shows.
It is worth the 24 dollars. It used to be free but Fons and Porter bought the website and started charging for it.
They show all the series of the major teachers like El Burns and Fons and Porter, Sewing with Nancy and many more.
Margie be sure and watch the sewing with Nancy show on Scrap Happy Quilts where she uses different size strips to make 6 in blocks. It is a great way to use up scraps. The book is not available but the video is enough to learn the method. I made one and it was the most fun I ever had making a quilt.

azam 03-06-2009 09:07 AM

I was just researching this topic yesterday. On the Fons & Porter website they offer classes from various well known quilters. They run from $15.00, on up, depends on class and instructor. You can access them any time, as many times as you wish for two months. I haven't signed up for one yet but I'm thinking about it.

Rose Marie 03-06-2009 01:11 PM

All the series of tv shows that Fons and Porter made are on QNNTV.
Much cheaper this way.
Even though I think Fons and Porter do things the hard way.

butterflywing 03-06-2009 06:34 PM

all of this goes to show that there are lots of free sources out there. i can't see spending on stuff i can get free.

between videos online and pbs stations, i get at least one free lesson every day. tv alone gives me tutes every day nancy z, fon $ porter, martha pullen, america quilts, etc. add to that qnntv + youtube + kay wood e-mail videos, etc.

how long will i live?

GailG 03-07-2009 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
if you ever have the opportunity, as a member, to buy the pattern alone for GLORY BE in all 10 parts, i would love to pay you for it.

i also tape the sewing shows every day on public tv at 3 pm central time. we get sewing with nancy, fons & porter,, elenor (sp?) burns, martha pullen and one other, i forget who. they do good projects and have good guests.
for example ricky tims demonstrated his simple table-top frame and showed how he makes his diagonal backing

so , to tell the truth, i don't really think i need anything else. i won't live long enough to do my "to-do" as it is. not to mention my library of quilting books that i can't sell for a decent price, so i decided to keep them.

and i can't find my husband in the dust bunnies anymore. i just hear coughing once in a while.

Has anyone ever tried the diagonal backing? It sound so "smart."

butterflywing 03-07-2009 02:14 PM

funny that you mention that. i 'taped' that recently on direct tv. he was a guest on fons & porter and showed that method. about 1/2 hour ago, i watched it again. no i never tried it, but i think i understand how it works and would like to try. if you try it, please report back.