Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   On line quilting classes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/line-quilting-classes-t173298.html)

knlsmith 12-28-2011 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Freddie (Post 4815882)
I signed up for paperpiecing with Craftsy a couple of weeks ago.(Of course not for the 19.99 special they have now).
I only looked at the first lesson, but it seems quite good. This is my first on line class and as a matter of fact, I don't take many classes at quiltshops either. I took this one, because it does not expire, you can go on your own pace and I love to paperpiece, so hopefully I learn something new again. I noticed also that you can ask questions and read other students' comments as well. Also you can use your scrap material, if you don't know if you like the pattern in a particular lesson.

I didn't see the sale price when i looked. Is it over now?

JENNR8R 12-28-2011 05:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I took Karen Combs "More Patchwork Illusions" at Quilt University last Spring. It was a good way for me to learn. We would be given a bit of information each week for six weeks. We did homework and "chatted" with other students and the teacher. I liked the results. Attached are a few of the blocks that I made.

AshleyR 12-28-2011 05:32 AM

I signed up for the FMQ too! Merry Christmas to me from me! I'd like to compare notes with others who are taking or have taken it, so PM me if you'd like to too. I figured since I don't make tops, I need to be able to quilt better so $20 investment is not bad. I've watched a few of the class/videos, but it hasn't wow'ed me yet. But I fell asleep twice (not because it was boring, but because I was just so darned sleepy) so I'm so glad I get to go back and watch everything again. I know there are videos for free on you tube, and I love most of them too. But I wanted something I could watch from rooter to tooter which is what a newbie like myself needs! I wanted it all in one, easy to access place. For specific things that can be shown in 10 minutes, You Tube might be the best. I fell in love with machine quilting when I accidently found Leah Day on You Tube and I watch the ones from Missouri Quilt all the time.
knlsmith, you have to be a member to see the sales price. I sent the link to my husband and he gulped and said, "If that's what you want" and I said, "Well, it's only $20, and it usually goes on sale for $25 or more" and he said, "Oh, it says $60" LOL! I don't have the flexibility to take a class at the shops, and I love the fact that I can ask questions and replay things as much as I want to for the rest of my life. I hope they come out with one for using a frame too.

countrydancermom 12-28-2011 06:01 AM

I signed up for the FMQ and gave it to 2 friends as gifts. I also just signed up for quilting quickly. I did have an issue with one of my friends not getting the link (a computer mishap) and the customer service was wonderful and she got her course the next day. I like that everything is in 1 place and I don't need to search a bunch of stuff on you tube. I also have a laptop and it's great to take the laptop to the sewing machine and watch and pause and do. There have been lots of sales (maybe just for the holidays) so I would wait for the next one to come along.

Mkotch 12-28-2011 06:09 AM

I've been taking a quilting course via craftsy and enjoying it very much. I can go back and watch something again, ask questions and get an answer, etc. The instructor is Wendy Butler Berns, and very "human."

lynmh 12-28-2011 06:16 AM

I am taking 2 classes! I have a friend that took on line classes and loved them. I figure at the price you cant go wrong.

AshleyR 12-28-2011 06:19 AM

On the FMQ course, in the first or second video, there is a sampler quilt hanging in the background. Did anyone notice that one of the pinwheels was wrong? I know she starts quilting this quilt later in the class, so I hope she fixed this!

jaciqltznok 12-28-2011 06:38 AM

I have taken a few via Quilt university! Let me say that while the classes are great, finding the time to commit to them is NOT easy! I never did get to finish my natural dyeing class last summer...life just got FULL way too quick!

jaciqltznok 12-28-2011 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R (Post 4817400)
I took Karen Combs "More Patchwork Illusions" at Quilt University last Spring. It was a good way for me to learn. We would be given a bit of information each week for six weeks. We did homework and "chatted" with other students and the teacher. I liked the results. Attached are a few of the blocks that I made.

I thought I recognized those blocks/patterns. I took a class with Karen back in 2000! LOVE her stuff..she is just great! YOur blocks are stunning...way to go!

Stitchlady 12-28-2011 07:11 AM

I have been tempted to take the classes by Jenny Doan because I love her tutorials so much. I hate to admit it, but, I don't know how they work. Do you get discs? Are they online? How do you interact with her about them?

Wishing for time to sew!