Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A little early, but what are your New Year's resolutions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/little-early-but-what-your-new-years-resolutions-t284439.html)

letawellman 12-13-2016 11:42 AM

A little early, but what are your New Year's resolutions?

Yes, it's a little early to be thinking about this, but what are your New Year's resolutions?

My New Year's resolutions will tie very much to two of the Challenge threads here on QB - next year's UFO train and the Fabric Moratorium. This year (2016), my goal was to finish 12 UFO's (one per month), which I'm very happy to say that I Did accomplish that! I could Not have done it without all the inspiration and encouragement from the 2016 UFO Challenge thread!! Next year, that is my Minimum... but I want to try to double that, to 24.

Plus, I'm planning to join the Fabric Moratorium thread - so I won't buy fabric (unless it's for a backing - and I have several wide-backs just waiting to be used).

I also need to give myself a "anything sewing/quilting related" moratorium. I need to Quit Buying So Much Stuff!! :D

So, come on, peeps - what do You hope to accomplish next year?!?

PaperPrincess 12-13-2016 11:53 AM

I'm very messy, so I want to clean up one project before starting the next.
Ditto on the 2017 Fabric Moratorium (the moratorium lets you set your own goals, so include anything you'd like!).
I also have a non-quilting goal of donating something to the Salvation Army thrift store every week.

nativetexan 12-13-2016 12:53 PM

ha, ha. not mine but my son was talking about quitting smoking. i told him we could walk around the neighborhood when ever he desired a smoke. he laughed. i wasn't kidding!!

Tartan 12-13-2016 12:56 PM

I set goals, I don't make resolutions.

tallchick 12-13-2016 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman (Post 7718159)
Yes, it's a little early to be thinking about this, but what are your New Year's resolutions?

My New Year's resolutions will tie very much to two of the Challenge threads here on QB - next year's UFO train and the Fabric Moratorium. This year (2016), my goal was to finish 12 UFO's (one per month), which I'm very happy to say that I Did accomplish that! I could Not have done it without all the inspiration and encouragement from the 2016 UFO Challenge thread!! Next year, that is my Minimum... but I want to try to double that, to 24.

Plus, I'm planning to join the Fabric Moratorium thread - so I won't buy fabric (unless it's for a backing - and I have several wide-backs just waiting to be used).

I also need to give myself a "anything sewing/quilting related" moratorium. I need to Quit Buying So Much Stuff!! :D

So, come on, peeps - what do You hope to accomplish next year?!?

You must be my twin, I have 6 tops that need quilted, no more fabric, except wide backing as needed, I hate piecing a back, and no more quilty gadgets. I am going to concentrate on becoming better at my longarm quilting and making more of a "schedule" and get through some of my fabric. I have a few special quilts that I would to do and I also want to tame the scaps.

daisydawg 12-13-2016 04:28 PM

No resolutions for me, never keep them. Might follow an example of some of the suggestions made from the posts here, present and future.

maryb119 12-13-2016 05:40 PM

I made a resolution many years ago to never make any more resolutions. So far, it's the only one I have ever kept.

bungalow59 12-13-2016 06:48 PM

Speak up
Ask more questions
Don't commit
:)

letawellman 12-14-2016 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 7718292)
You must be my twin, I have 6 tops that need quilted, no more fabric, except wide backing as needed, I hate piecing a back, and no more quilty gadgets. I am going to concentrate on becoming better at my longarm quilting and making more of a "schedule" and get through some of my fabric. I have a few special quilts that I would to do and I also want to tame the scaps.

Well then, if we're twins, maybe I'll "see" you on both the UFO Challenge and the Fabric Moratorium threads next year!

I am also working on getting better on my longarm! I'm planning on finishing some of my UFO's with quilting that is somewhat out of my usual "comfort zone". So, that finishes a UFO AND challenges my LA'ing at the same time. Multi-tasking at its finest!! :D

And I'm also going to have to do SOMETHING about my scraps. Probably not a full "Bonnie Hunter" style of thing, though. I did some organization several weeks ago, and that at least put things where I can SEE them (if something is "out of sight" for me, it's also "out of mind"). After the Christmas craziness, I'm going to be doing some more of that. I've been going to the local Dollar General and buying the clear plastic (I can SEE them, remember?) shoe boxes for just $1, and putting fabric groups, small UFO's, etc., into these. I have about 10 stacked up right where I can see them, and the UFO ones will be top of my list next year for the Challenge.

Wrylymax 12-14-2016 05:25 AM

I retired in August as an instructor/program manager. For years I've dreamed of teaching basic sewing/quilting classes in my retirement so that's something I plan to pursue in the new year.

For my own quilting, at least 75% of any quilt's fabric MUST come from my stash.

Get involved with a local group that sews quilts for cancer patients.

Downsize my quilting stuff.

Find opportunities to use more of the beautiful stitches on my machine.

And, yes, finish all of the quilt tops sitting in drawers.