Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Little Specks of blood on my quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/little-specks-blood-my-quilt-t122065.html)

#1piecemaker 05-10-2011 04:29 AM

Of course I didn't notice it at the time, but when I was looking at a quilt I'd made the other day, I noticed tiny little specks of blood on it from where I had obviously pricked my finger with the needle. Has that ever happened to any of you? and if so, did you try to wash it out or did you just leave it?

gal288 05-10-2011 04:34 AM

As a hand appliquer, I am always jabbing myself and getting blood on my blocks.

I was told years ago that your own saliva will take out blood. It works, on new blood anyway, not sure on dried.

I usually immediately wet the spot with my saliva, and wash in cold water. Presto, the spot is gone.

Don't know if it will work for you, try wetting the spot with cold water, then your saliva, wait a couple of seconds and then wash again, repeat if you need to.

Hope it works, let us know for future reference.

dd 05-10-2011 04:35 AM

Is the quilt for yourself? Tiny little? Noticeable? Leave it. DNA identification if it's ever lost or stolen.lol You could try hydrogen peroxide, just dab it on the spots then wash it.

Longarm 05-10-2011 04:35 AM

I have been told your own saliva is the best way to take out your blood. I don't know if this works or not, the thought is gross. I think it depends on how noticable it is and if it would come out with a baby wipe, I have found they are good for taking some spills off.

Longarm

#1piecemaker 05-10-2011 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
As a hand appliquer, I am always jabbing myself and getting blood on my blocks.

I was told years ago that your own saliva will take out blood. It works, on new blood anyway, not sure on dried.

I usually immediately wet the spot with my saliva, and wash in cold water. Presto, the spot is gone.

Don't know if it will work for you, try wetting the spot with cold water, then your saliva, wait a couple of seconds and then wash again, repeat if you need to.

Hope it works, let us know for future reference.

I have never heard of this before. Ummmmm... Interesting.

cabbagepatchkid 05-10-2011 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Longarm
I have been told your own saliva is the best way to take out your blood.

Of course, don't use your saliva if you are also eating chocolate while you are quilting...LOL! :mrgreen:

Is the blood on colored fabric or white. Many years ago my Home Ec teacher helped me with a red stain (strawberries, I think) that I got on my white shirt during cooking class. She diluted a little bleach in water and we dabbed it on the stain until the stain was gone.

sewgull 05-10-2011 05:04 AM

Call the blood spots DNA, your own personal signature.
I don't worry about it.

f rogers 05-10-2011 05:07 AM

try the salvia method as is have done and it worked. for dried blood I would let it set for a while .

sueisallaboutquilts 05-10-2011 05:16 AM

It's happened to me also. I just dab it with cold water and it takes it out.

Stitchnripper 05-10-2011 05:19 AM

Recently it happened to me and I used the saliva method followed by rinsing in cold water and it all came out.