Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Long arm prices too high??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/long-arm-prices-too-high-t80241.html)

wraez 12-03-2010 03:07 PM

Boy I wish those prices were available around here, they are aprox twice what you quoted.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

dixiechunk 12-03-2010 03:07 PM

WOW! You're not going to find better prices. Next question would be quality. BTW, are those prices for FM quilting, pantograph, custom work?

stewyscrewy 12-03-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by rosequilts
In my area of Florida these prices are very low. Custom work on a queen quilt (long arm) will start at $300 witout the batting and thread charge.

Wow. I dont start that high . wow. most I Have gotten was 175 and that was for wool batting and metalic threads ect specific customer request. and All freehand work.

sewmom 12-03-2010 03:11 PM

Thanks. I really like her too.hoping to go up there next week to take her my latest quilt tops.

Originally Posted by materialgrl

Originally Posted by sewmom

Originally Posted by irishrose
Do they do mail order? Those prices are a lot less than anyone here charges in Northern Lower Michigan. I haven't checked the Amish. I'll have my daughter check. I was in an Amish home recently. A beautiful new house with a huge sunny sewing room with three new, very modern machines. I didn't want to appear to be nosy, so I didn't look too closely, but I think they may have been converted to treadle.

My LAQ is in AuGres, Mi and her prices are about the same as was mentioned in original post. Custom is a little higher b/c it's by the square inch. She does mail order. www.danielsmachinequilting.com check it out.

So glad you mentioned my friend she does a great job, and she is a great friend to !

crankygran 12-03-2010 03:32 PM

Those prices are really good. Around here we average 1 1/2 cents a square inch So a forty by forty inch crib quilt runs more than they are charging and some add the cost of thread to that.

Kathy-Pgh 12-03-2010 03:54 PM

I have allways been told that 1-1/2 cents per square inch was the norm

decky 12-03-2010 04:10 PM

That is really low. I have heard of people paying over 200.00 for a double quilt and higher for kings.

jenniferlrn 12-03-2010 04:13 PM

I would definately want to see some of their work. It could be that the stitching is large. The prices are definately not much per hour.
Long arm prices too high?? I do mid arm quilting some a few customers, and when you figure expenses, the time involved, you aren't working for very much an hour. Figure out how long it takes to piece a quilt and then decide how much you are making an hour. If your work away from home, you will see what I am talking about. It's always been that way with handwork and a lot of other things women do, most people don't want to pay for what it's worth. I'm not wanting to start a big discussion but just stating my opinion.

lanagan 12-03-2010 04:20 PM

Here in Montana, prices range from 1.5 to 2 cents per sq inch so these prices seem reasonable.

Lilyized 12-03-2010 04:37 PM

I pay $40 for crib, $80 lap, and $120 for a queen which includes the batting. No binding, and I trim it up myself.