Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Long arm question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/long-arm-question-t204434.html)

amandasgramma 10-28-2012 06:56 AM

I have the HQ Avante and highly recommend it. Easy to use, small learning curve. They average about $9000. They come with Stitch Regulator (a must in my opinion), frame and machine. The machine has EVERYTHING made JUST for the Avante. Compared to other low-end machines that aren't. For example -- The stitch regulator for the Tin Lizzy is actually generic and is used on 6 different machines. I had a Pfaff Grandquilter that used that regulator and it NEVER worked right. I haven't looked to see if you can find them on the 2nd hand market.....but DO talk to a dealer and ask if he has a floor demo model. Our dealer provides classes once a month........or you can pay to go to Utah to take their courses (spendy!!!).

Good luck -- I think you'd enjoy having one!

Prism99 10-28-2012 08:37 AM

I spent about a year researching this subject, reading comments on the QB about various setups, the homequiltingsystems group on groups.yahoo.com , etc. I finally decided on a Voyager 17 with a stretch Hinterberg frame. You can purchase these at http://www.hinterberg.com and another good place I found is http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com . I have read that the stitch regulator for the Voyager is not that great so I decided I did not need that. I had planned to call the two sources above to compare prices and then order this setup next year, planning to cap it at $4,000. However, a member of our quilt guild advertised her setup for sale (she is upgrading to an APQS) and it is exactly what I was going to order, so I bought hers used with some extras for $3,000.

I decided first on the stretch Hinterberg frame because all the comments I have seen about them have been really good. It is not only sturdy, but is easy to assemble and disassemble. Also the roller assembly that allows the machine to move freely always seems to get really good comments. It sells for about $900 online, but might be less with a coupon code. (Always Google coupon codes for an online company before placing an order!)

For the machine, I debated for awhile between a Juki with a 9" throat and the larger midarm machines. The current new Juki sells for about $900. Decided I really didn't want to deal with a small throat on a large quilting frame. Kept my eye out for comments about Tin Lizzie, Bailey, and Voyager machines. The Voyager always seemed to get positive comments. Have seen tension problems mentioned for the TL and Bailey. And that's how I decided on the Voyager.

I had a chance to try out the Voyager/Hinterberg setup before I bought it. Although the machine is heavy (about 70 lbs), it moves very well on the Hinterberg frame. I do think that the frame quality is extremely important to a setup -- just as important as the machine quality!

I too just want to quilt for myself and family. I think this setup will work well for me without breaking the bank. If I ever upgrade, I would probably look first at the Innova. Aside from consistently good reviews, there is a dealer not far from me.

maryb119 10-28-2012 08:45 AM

The big thing to remember is service. Make sure you have a dealer inthe area who will service your machien when you need it serviced. My mom had a Nolting and she loves it. The dealer is 45 miles away so that makes it easy to get the things she needs for her long arm quilting.

sangel 10-28-2012 08:50 AM

I would stay away from the Husqvarna 18.8. I am having tons of trouble with mine (less than 3 years old) and no resolution after months of waiting and attempted repairs by Husqvarna. My friend also has an 18.8 and it is the same story.

DebraK 10-28-2012 08:56 AM

I agree with the Avante. I picked up a used one from a local quilt store for $7000. I learned by doing charity quilts for the local guild while at the store for a few days. Then the previous owner came to my house and set it all up, plus left another charity quilt to do at my home, to make sure everything was working right before I tried quilting one of my own. I became very good at meandering and loop-d-loop, quickly ;-)

I've never had a problem with the machine and it was heavily used by many at the shop. I hear Handiquilter has excellent customer service, though I have not had to use them yet.

kimg 10-28-2012 09:52 AM

WOW!! You folks are great! I was afraid people would say that I should look back at past board posts or something. (and I will do that too) I am trying to "soak it all up". I would like to stay below $5,000 if a good set-up can be had for that. I probably spend $1200 to $1500 a year on quilting, and that doesn't count what my daughter and close friends spend. I assume they can be financed, so I guess I could spend more and do that. I do not need tons of bells and whistles but I do need user- friendly and a warranty. Maybe the used option is not a good one due to the lack of support and warranty. So much to think about.......I agree that I need to take my time and do my research. THANKS SO MUCH and keep the info coming. I want to hear from anyone who has words of wisdom!

AliKat 10-28-2012 10:28 AM

It seems you have your quilty ducks in a row. You have look and played with the various machines at shows. this is a good starting place. Know t hat some machines are quickly sold as used so that the owners can get a better machine.

I have a used HQ 16. I get great service locally if needed. Though I have just called to HQ and gotten answers for any questions I had. I love it! P.S. I only do my own or charity quilts at this time. I'm just not ready to work for others ... except a few friends.

Now we have more than 1 LQS in our area that rents out time on their Gammills. You have to take a one-on-one session to make sure yuo know how to use the machine. Then you reserve the time slot you want. Some of those using these machine actually do quilting for others and charge for the service. If this is available in your area it is a good first step. Also if you are limited on space in your home this is ideal.

ali

DogHouseMom 10-28-2012 10:35 AM

Given that you tried, and were not successful with FMQ on your domestic, perhaps the best way to start is to take an LA class at your local dealer. The classes (as someone mentioned) are about $50 - which is a much smaller investment than popping several thousand just to find out that you might not be successful with a long arm either!!

alleyoop1 10-28-2012 12:12 PM

I don't have a long arm machine, but I do have a long arm quilt frame. When I have my quilt all pieced, I put it on the frame, then I put my regular sewing machine on the frame and quilt. Granted, I can only quilt a strip of approx. 5" wide, so I have to stop and roll more often, but it works well and I am getting a real feel for what it is like to use a long arm. Mostly I have done meandering and waves. I've tried, on scrap fabric, to do feathers but they will take much more practice. When I finally get a long arm, I will have a good idea what to expect. (P.S. I bought a Bernina frame right after the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show and got a great price - but you can find frames - new and second hand - for sale online.)

Jennie and Me 10-28-2012 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5618143)
Check the APQS website http//:www.apqs.com They have smaller models as well as larger. They are made in Carroll, Iowa. Their support is fantastic so are the people on their forum. You can take classes from them and they even offer a class on how to keep your machine maintained on your own. They often have used machines available.

I am a devoted APQS user. Love the machine and the customer support is beyond fantastic. That being said, there are so many different machine brands out there...do your research and go for it. You will never look back. Now, when I bought Jennie(my Millennium) I didn't do any research except for the fact that a friend had one of the older APQS machines and never had any problems with it. So, off to Des Moines we went to their showroom and that's what I ended up with. Never been sorry.
Hope that whatever you decide on that you have a wonderful time with it.