Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Long Arm Quilting Glasses (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/long-arm-quilting-glasses-t257678.html)

PaperPrincess 12-02-2014 07:04 PM

Long Arm Quilting Glasses

This is one of those things that I thought everyone knew about, but I was telling a friend and she looked at me like I had 2 heads.
Optometrists routinely make computer glasses. You measure the distance from your eyes to the screen and they will give you a prescription for that distance. I just measured from my eyes to the center area of my long arm bed and had them make a pair for that distance. It really cuts down on eye strain, and hopefully makes me a better quilter!
The single vision lenses are pretty inexpensive and if you have an old eyeglass frame hanging around, you're good to go!

ann31039 12-02-2014 07:57 PM

Another "duh" moment. What a great idea.

lynnie 12-02-2014 08:07 PM

yes, had them mad for myself over 10 yrs ago. great idea for the quilting. never thought to apply it there.

Tartan 12-02-2014 08:40 PM

I have a full perscription of my bifocals when I sew at my sewing machine. I can see how a pair of glasses for the sweet spot at your long arm would be great.

cindi 12-03-2014 02:41 AM

I found reading glasses in the dollar bin at Target a while back, so I bought 4 pairs in different strengths. Tried each one out at my LA, and found the perfect pair! Did the same with my sewing machine and computer, then found the 4th pair worked perfectly when I draw. Four pairs of glasses for $4, each one in use! I wrote down what strength I use for each, so when these wear out I can find them again.

QuiltnNan 12-03-2014 03:26 AM

thanks for the tip. i have different strength 'cheaters' at my different work stations... computer, sewing machine, quilting frame. i don't need glasses for generally walking around or shopping. my family laughs at all of the glasses sitting around the house.

PaperPrincess 12-03-2014 05:31 AM

Oh, yeah! Should have started the post of with "If the store bought cheaters won't work for you..." My vision is to the point that even the strongest $ store prescriptions didn't work. Dang!

Twilliebee 12-03-2014 05:40 AM

I've just been introduced to ordering my prescription glasses online and I will be sticking with it. 2 pairs of progressive lens bifocals with clip-on sunglasses delivered to my door for less than $150. I don't want to sound like an advertisement so if you want the link I used. PM me. I'm going to see if I can get a special single vision prescription for sewing and for the computer. Great idea, Thanks!

pennycandy 12-03-2014 08:19 AM

Never knew this. I'll have to pick up some inexpensive cheaters in different strengths to see if this will help. Now if I can find a pair that will help me thread needles that would be a big help. Thanks for posting this tip!

eparys 12-03-2014 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6993055)
Oh, yeah! Should have started the post of with "If the store bought cheaters won't work for you..." My vision is to the point that even the strongest $ store prescriptions didn't work. Dang!

I am in the same boat - PaperPrincess!!

I have had computer glasses, but never thought about the longarm. What a great suggestion. Thanks!