Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm Quilting Glasses >

Long Arm Quilting Glasses

Long Arm Quilting Glasses

Old 12-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

Default Long Arm Quilting Glasses

This is one of those things that I thought everyone knew about, but I was telling a friend and she looked at me like I had 2 heads.
Optometrists routinely make computer glasses. You measure the distance from your eyes to the screen and they will give you a prescription for that distance. I just measured from my eyes to the center area of my long arm bed and had them make a pair for that distance. It really cuts down on eye strain, and hopefully makes me a better quilter!
The single vision lenses are pretty inexpensive and if you have an old eyeglass frame hanging around, you're good to go!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:57 PM

Another "duh" moment. What a great idea.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

yes, had them mad for myself over 10 yrs ago. great idea for the quilting. never thought to apply it there.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

I have a full perscription of my bifocals when I sew at my sewing machine. I can see how a pair of glasses for the sweet spot at your long arm would be great.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:41 AM

I found reading glasses in the dollar bin at Target a while back, so I bought 4 pairs in different strengths. Tried each one out at my LA, and found the perfect pair! Did the same with my sewing machine and computer, then found the 4th pair worked perfectly when I draw. Four pairs of glasses for $4, each one in use! I wrote down what strength I use for each, so when these wear out I can find them again.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

thanks for the tip. i have different strength 'cheaters' at my different work stations... computer, sewing machine, quilting frame. i don't need glasses for generally walking around or shopping. my family laughs at all of the glasses sitting around the house.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Oh, yeah! Should have started the post of with "If the store bought cheaters won't work for you..." My vision is to the point that even the strongest $ store prescriptions didn't work. Dang!
Old 12-03-2014, 05:40 AM

I've just been introduced to ordering my prescription glasses online and I will be sticking with it. 2 pairs of progressive lens bifocals with clip-on sunglasses delivered to my door for less than $150. I don't want to sound like an advertisement so if you want the link I used. PM me. I'm going to see if I can get a special single vision prescription for sewing and for the computer. Great idea, Thanks!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:19 AM

Never knew this. I'll have to pick up some inexpensive cheaters in different strengths to see if this will help. Now if I can find a pair that will help me thread needles that would be a big help. Thanks for posting this tip!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Oh, yeah! Should have started the post of with "If the store bought cheaters won't work for you..." My vision is to the point that even the strongest $ store prescriptions didn't work. Dang!
I am in the same boat - PaperPrincess!!

I have had computer glasses, but never thought about the longarm. What a great suggestion. Thanks!