Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/long-armer-ruined-my-quilt-what-do-t82413.html)

Lilrain 12-14-2010 06:24 PM

I am sorry that this happened to you. I have also had a couple of problems with longarm quilters. I know that they did not intentionally "ruin" my quilt. I would be very careful about posting any negative comments about this woman. Times are not as they used to be, and although I am not paranoid, I feel we need to sometimes not tell all. i would let my friends know, but other than that, it might be best to just let it go and not use or or recommend her to anyone.

Cat18 12-14-2010 07:26 PM

[quote=ljsunflower]so what happened to the lady who posted about this? Has she even been back on the forum?
quote]

Thank you all for you comments, concern and suggestions. I have, in fact, been back to read them several times a day and have been digesting them while trying to decide just what would be the most appropriate action to take with this LA.

With regard to trying to fix the quilt, my favorite response is from gump51 (page 3):

This "hole in the quilt" happened to me as well. While all quilts are special, this one was very dear to my heart and the person I was giving it to as I was retiring and moving quite a distance away. It was dead center on the back side and about the size of a quarter. I took a small piece of fabric that I used in the quilt (contrasting to hole) and cut out a heart. I appliqued it over the hole and attached a note saying, "I have taken a little piece of this quilt out and replaced it with a piece of my heart for you to always be reminded how much I love you." It turned out to be more meaningful than I ever imagined.
gump51

With regard to the LA, she is a Seller on Ebay. She is a Top-Rated Seller and at the time I purchased her services, she had nearly 100% positive feedback (and, as I said myself, the work itself was very nice). I see now that she has recently received a Negative feedback, also for poor communication. I have contacted Ebay customer service and explained my situation. I don’t know if Ebay will do anything about this, but now that I see how many different things I can do to “fix” the quilt, my only problem is being put out and insulted that the Seller didn’t feel it was the right-thing-to-do to own up to the damage, apologize and, at least, offer to try to fix it.

Thank you again for all your input.

Sewnique 12-14-2010 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The LA was given the chance to work out a solution with the customer and she refused. If she's too ignorant to know that one unsatisfied customer means loss of future business then why be concerned for her if she does lose business.

There's a difference between taking your business elsewhere and *intentionally* setting out to put sombody out of business because they made one mistake and didn't do whatever you deem necessary to fix it.

I agree! I don't think its right that the LA quilter has responded to her email about the hole and possibly repairing it. Even if she didn't make the hole, she's still not responding to a customer's concerns and she may be ignoring her completely.

But intentionally setting out to destroy her business over it? Kind of overkill if you ask me. Its my understanding that a good sized quilt costs quite a bit of money to get LA quilted no matter who you go to. She doesn't need to be sued for every penny she has to ruin her business because if she keeps this up she'll destroy it on her own by creating a bad reputation and unsatisfied customers.

So relax people. It is unfortunate that the quiilt came back with a hole in it and the LA quilter hasn't really responded to the issue, but there is no need to put this woman's head on a platter over it. She isn't the only LA quilter in the world. I'd just go someplace else and have my work done there. Isn't it enough that this LA quilter will be out one customer as well as decent chunk of money to work on future quilts?

I agree with you. But, I would let the other quilters in the community know of my experience. She will sooner or later (from the sound of it, sooner) will shoot own herself in the foot!
I have repaired small holes in garments and other items by ironing a small applique bought from wally world over it. Looks beautiful and no one knows the difference.
Sewnique

nwm50 12-15-2010 07:23 AM

How about when an longarmer puts on the wrong backing ???? Especially when you also sent the backing for it? the quiltwork was nice but the "flannel" fabric was not sent for an cotton quilt to be done,,,was sent an cotton backing fabric!

Bobbielinks 12-15-2010 08:04 AM

I have had this happen twice on customer's quilts. Once right at the outside edge and once within the body of the quilt. Both times it was advancing the quilt with the needle in that caused the problem. I called and apologized to my customers. The hole at the edge was easily covered with the binding. The hole within the body of the quilt I fixed by fusing the fabric to the batting then sewing a appliqued butterfly (it was a floral quilt so the butterfly looked very nice. Each customer was very pleased with their quilts and I have quilted several for them since then. I just feel when I make a mistake I must owe up to it, speak with the customer about it and correct it the best I can. I would certainly contact your quilter again and give her another chance to fix the problem.

Bobbielinks 12-15-2010 08:12 AM

If it were my quilt (and I am a longarm quilter)I would expect the quilter to fix the problem. It she fixed it to my satisfaction I would still use her services. Let's face it we all make mistakes; however, it she did not fix it to my satisfaction I would take my quilt to another quilter. I would not disclosure her name or business nor would I speak bad about her. Her quilting and public relation skills will either keep her in business or take her out of business without anyone else's help.

Bobbielinks 12-15-2010 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by smockingRN

Originally Posted by Shelley
sigh.... I really hope you and your LA quilter can work this out. This comes under the heading of "Sh__ happens" but it's repairable - as is your relationship - IF the lines of communication can stay open.

This post just makes me sad. Not just about this quilt, but some of the responses. Call the BBB? Take her to court? Destroy her at the local quilt shop?? Get a rope??!! OMG! Things happen, and depending on the size of the hole, it could be missed in the final inspection. I don't know how many times I don't spot missing quilting until after I post a picture. And I would be just sick about a tear or rip, and would do my best to make this right. AS WOULD EVERY LA QUILTER I KNOW!!! But in the grand scheme of things, this is all repairable. Please chill people!

This is my FAVORITE reply to this question; Calm, reasonable and not vindictive. Thanks!

I agree!

Bobbielinks 12-15-2010 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by duckydo
I think the ideas that are being posted on the repair are great ones. One thing to think about, is the person that is doing your longarm quilting insured? I would ask her to at least refund part of my money. I am a longarmer and I would be mortified if I did that to someones quilt. Keep trying to reach her. She at least owes you an apology

Even if this quilter has insurance, the insurance probably will not cover poor workmanship. My commercial quilting policy will not cover a quilt for my mistake, only things that are beyond my control. (theft, fire, flood, lightening strikes, etc.)

Lilrain 12-15-2010 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
If it were my quilt (and I am a longarm quilter)I would expect the quilter to fix the problem. It she fixed it to my satisfaction I would still use her services. Let's face it we all make mistakes; however, it she did not fix it to my satisfaction I would take my quilt to another quilter. I would not disclosure her name or business nor would I speak bad about her. Her quilting and public relation skills will either keep her in business or take her out of business without anyone else's help.

I totally agree with this. She did handle it poorly, but why try to ruin her? She has been notified that there was a problem.

patdesign 12-15-2010 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
Be careful. She could sue for libel.

Can a person sue for libel if the statements made are the true?

I think regardless of whether it is libel or not, the fact remains you are talking court and if she is out of town, guess what, you would have to travel there to sue and prove she did it. It not worth the hassle, but would be worth it is to apply a little pressure on the quilter and see if she would be willing to refund the cost of the quilting, or the quilt itself. Bottom line here, badmouthing is not ever a good policy no matter how disreputable the business person. I have found that sooner or later karma evens things out.