Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/long-armer-ruined-my-quilt-what-do-t82413.html)

gale 12-21-2010 04:03 PM

Since no one knows who the longarmer is, I don't think anyone is throwing stones just yet since there's no one to throw stones at. Maybe winding up though.

But this is what ebay feedback is for. The problem is, this is a he said, she said thing and short of leaving negative feedback I'm not sure if anything else would be done by ebay.

crt 12-21-2010 04:33 PM

I, too feel like I'll probably be blasted, but reading this has made me very uncomfortable. I understand how the OP feels. I had a similar unpleasant experience, and was in tears when I left the shop from picking up my projects.

I didn't read anything vindictive in the first post, and she has come back and responded once. She may be busy, or she may feel uncomfortable from reading many of the responses, and won't come back. I feel bad for her, in more ways than one. She possibly wishes she hadn't asked for opinions in the first place.

In my case, I have told very few people what happened to my projects, but I will never take anything back to the quilter again. I put too much money and too many hours into them, and was heartbroken when I saw what had been done. It was fixable, but it added stress that I didn't need to an already stressful time for me.

I hope she has been able to repair the damage, and I truly feel that she doesn't have to come back and justify her disappointment to anyone.

ljsunflower 12-21-2010 04:41 PM

Justify her disappointment to anyone? NO! I would be very disappointed too if that had happened to me.
We just want the end of the story!! LOL

StitchinJoy 12-21-2010 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cat18
I recently received a quilt back from a long-armer -- there is a hole in the border. It looks to me like the needle on the long-arm machine got stuck and the fabric ripped when she tried to dislodge it.

I contacted the long-armer by e-mail, saying "I received the quilt back. The quilting looks nice, but there is a hole in the border where it is quilted. Weren't you going to say anything to me about it?"

Her response was "Didn't know there was a hole in the border."

I e-mailed her back and even sent pictures of the tear/rip/hole. She has ignored the e-mail and I have not heard anything else from her.

What should I do?

This is so sad. It's so exciting to get a new quilt all finished. And to have it damaged already when it is brand new is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry.

I WONDER IF THE LONGARMER HAS ONE OF THOSE AUTOMATIC COMPUTER-DRIVEN MACHINES WHERE SHE CAN PUSH A BUTTON AND HAVE IT QUILT WHILE SHE DOES SOMETHING ELSE. THAT WOULD EXPLAIN WHY SHE DOESNT KNOW THERE WAS A PROBLEM. iT COULD HAVE HIT A SNAGE AND BEEN STITCHING I ONE PLACE WHILE SHE WAS OUT OF THE STUDIO.

I've been longarm quilting more than 5 years and this has never happened. (:::touching wood:::) But I can see how an accident could happen.

If this happened to me, I would have called you immediately and sent you a photo of the damge in an email so we could discuss how to fix the situation. No situation is ever made better by lies or half-truths.

Again, I'm sorry for this trouble.

KarenR 12-21-2010 04:55 PM

In my calendar for this year - on one of the quilts in the boarder there are applicaed and embroderied flowers and designs. This is what got me wanting an embrodery machine.. Maybe you can cover it this way.

Longarm 12-21-2010 05:14 PM

Shame on the longarmer who damaged a quilt and won't own up to the fact.

I hope this individual realizes she is hurting all longarmers. I have been doing longarm quilting for several years and if I were to damage a quilt I would certainly let the individual know and do whatever I could to make it right. And definitely not charge for the quilting.

Longarm

Shelley 12-21-2010 06:30 PM

I believe at one point the LA quilter's Ebay name was told - the post has been changed. I was able to look her up.

crashnquilt 12-21-2010 08:31 PM

Longarm, we are not sure that the longarmer was the one who damaged the quilt. IF the damage was done by the longarmer, I agree she should either repair or partial refund.

There are so many variables to consider. I just don't think everyone should be so quick to lay blame without knowing the whole story.

Some folks have been judge, jury and executioner strickly on the word of one person. No one has seen the actual rip in the quilt.

crt 12-21-2010 08:35 PM

I know that if I ripped a quilt top I made, I would surely know it. I feel so bad for her, no matter. I know that as much stress as I have felt to get things finished for Christmas, this has to be heartbreaking.

Longarm 12-22-2010 06:10 AM

You are correct, we should not condemn without evidence. My apologies to all.

However, I will repeat that this kind of story does hurt all people who do longarm quilting.

Although this individual is upset about her quilt she only needs to go elsewhere in the future. It seems like longarmers are sprouting like weeds in a flower garden.

It is sort of like a LQS that I will no longer patronize because I could never get a receipt. Even when I asked for one she (the owner) claimed no one wanted receipts so she didn't bother with them. I never went back because I could never figure out how she came up with her totals plus I need to keep track of expenses if I am making a quilt for someone. She hurt herself and I have since heard she is struggling, so apparently others haven't liked her attitude. Sorry folks but customers need to be treated right (within reason) in any kind of business.

I think some people would rather shoot themself in the foot than continue walking.

Enough said by me on this subject.

Longarm