Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   LongArmers...Stitch Regulator or No? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/longarmers-stitch-regulator-no-t58724.html)

Sadiemae 08-10-2010 10:09 AM

I would not buy a longarm that didn't have a stitch regulator. When I am trying to learn a new design, I don't want to have to worry about the stith length as well as the formation of the new design. This is just me, everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

P.S. I always drive with my cruise control also. It helps with my gas mileage.

mlaceruby 08-10-2010 10:29 AM

I also have one but don't use it exclusively.
it regulates the stitches based on the movement of the machine not the fabric as in the bernina.
but basically the same principal

cjtinkle 08-10-2010 11:30 AM

I wouldn't be without a stitch regulator. But keep in mind, they aren't all created equal. If you're longarm shopping, you should compare them. I thought my HQ16 did a great job until I compared it to my Millennium... night and day difference! Plus I've never outrun the regulator on my Milly, but always outran it on the HQ.

Candace 08-10-2010 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
I also have one but don't use it exclusively.
it regulates the stitches based on the movement of the machine not the fabric as in the bernina.
but basically the same principal

Interesting. It makes sense it would be a different system.

Lakeview Quilting 08-10-2010 12:01 PM

I have quilted for 14 years and never have had a stitch regulator. For me, it's about smooth, steady movement of the machine. I guess it's what one gets used to. I believe most of the older models can be retrofitted to add the stitch regulator if you are looking to purchase a pre-owned machine. Check with the Manufacture, if you are.

Candace 08-10-2010 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lakeview Quilting
I have quilted for 14 years and never have had a stitch regulator. For me, it's about smooth, steady movement of the machine. I guess it's what one gets used to. I believe most of the older models can be retrofitted to add the stitch regulator if you are looking to purchase a pre-owned machine. Check with the Manufacture, if you are.

I've wondered why people don't just do this? Unless the older machines can't be retrofitted to the new computerized programs.

sewbusy 08-10-2010 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lakeview Quilting

I agree with you, I didn't believe I could quilt and be happy with the work until I actually use the machine for awhile. And really it didn't take long to get the swing of it. The regulator may be nice but not necessary in my opinion.

Friendly Quilter 08-10-2010 03:24 PM

I do not have a stich regulater on my machine. It costs aprox. 3500.00 to upgrade. That is about half of what a new machine would cost (machine only). I would love to get a light weight machine with a stich reg. But agine I just can not afford it. The machines are so expensive. So I am grateful for the one I have.

Candace 08-10-2010 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Friendly Quilter
I do not have a stich regulater on my machine. It costs aprox. 3500.00 to upgrade. That is about half of what a new machine would cost (machine only). I would love to get a light weight machine with a stich reg. But agine I just can not afford it. The machines are so expensive. So I am grateful for the one I have.

I see. So, it doesn't make sense to upgrade the machine if you can buy a new one. So much for recycling:<

Bobbielinks 08-10-2010 04:55 PM

I have had my nonstitch regulated Gammill machine 10 years. I was lucky, the guy who set up my machine had it so very level. with no binding, ran so smooth that I was able to stitch evenly from the beginning. I tried to stitch on a stitch regulated Gammill but was so frustrated - it would not start stitching until I started moving it. If a person would take a ruler and measure my stitches, I'm sure they would not be all the same size. But without measuring them they look very nice and even. Several quilts that I have quilted have taken blue ribbons and Best Machine Quilting so I certainly don't worry about the length of stitches. I just relax and stitch.