Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   LongArmers...Stitch Regulator or No? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/longarmers-stitch-regulator-no-t58724.html)

kat112000 08-11-2010 12:24 PM

I unhooked my stitch regulator as it wasn't working properly. Some days I wish I had one on but I just have to relax and take my time.

JAGSD 08-11-2010 01:36 PM

I have a Freedom and have used it both ways, but really do like with the stitch regulator more.

barbb baumgardner 08-11-2010 01:51 PM

I have a stitch regulator that has given me nothing but problems. I finally took it off my machine and I work without it. Infinitely better for me. $600. for a piece of junk that I had to send back to the manufacturer three times. The dealer moved to Phoenix and I am in California soI had no recourse there either.

quilttiludrop 08-11-2010 02:16 PM

I couldn't live without the stitch regulator on my Gammill long arm machine!

luvstoquilt301 08-11-2010 02:20 PM

I bought a used one without it and have done just fine. This was even a stretch for my budget. I was just grateful to have it.

wishiwerequilting 08-11-2010 03:42 PM

i have used a stitch regulator but quilt much better without it. I have quilted on a domestic sewing machine all my life and was proficient at that before i did anything on the longarm. that may have something to do with it.
I think you have to try machines with it on and with it off and see how you do.

JJane 08-11-2010 07:01 PM

I have used a longarm machine without a stitch regulator. After making several quilts on the machine my friend got a machine with a stitch regulator. I know have a long arm and I got a stitch regulator on it. I found it is more relaxing to have a stitch regulator. I feel it is worth the money. Several quilters I know who have LA without them wish they had regulaters.

catlover 08-11-2010 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
I have a stitch regulator on mine. It is great but I do have to be careful when I first push the button to start stitching to be sure to wait until I hear the beep before I start moving the machine otherwise my first stitch will be to long but that is the only one. When I turn off the stitch regulator and start stitching manually it is a wake up call to me as to how helpful the stitch regulator really is.

I love my stitch reg. When it didn't work, and I only had manual, I did OK. But, when the SR was fixed, it made a world of difference for intricate stitching. Honestly, it's really worth a lot to be able to maneuver tight places with the control you get from being able to go slowly.
Cynthia

stormatsea45 08-12-2010 08:02 AM

My first machine was a short arm, old Singer head, and had no stitch regulator. So when I bought my mid arm I didn't even consider a stitch regulator because I out sew them, and I had enough practice to keep my stitches fairly even. Another reason is the cost of the machine. I can see where they would be nice to have, but they don't guarantee even stitches! I think you need to decide is this a business or are you doing it mostly for yourself and don't expect to do it full time. I would suggest that you try all the machines with and without the stitch regulator and see for yourself how the different machines feel.

Pattiannie 08-12-2010 09:33 AM

My mother has a LA machine; her's doesn't have the stitch regulator. I just several times each year. If you've never used a stitch regulator how would you know if it's good or not? I find that concentration on what you are doing makes a big difference too.