Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   looking for charity to donate wife's quilting stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-charity-donate-wifes-quilting-stash-t286956.html)

EmiliasNana 03-22-2017 04:34 AM

Bless you for taking care of your wife and making sure her supplies are donated to a worthy cause. There are so many groups out there who do charity sewing that I'm sure with the suggestions already offered, you will find several. I pray your move goes well for both of you as you transition.

susie reardon 03-22-2017 05:25 AM

Anita,
So very nice of you to offer to help Ol. I am sure the task is overwhelming for him. We quilters do aguire many things.
God Bless
Susie

quiltybarb 03-22-2017 05:33 AM

This is a good question....I was recently in a horrific car accident and my wrist was broken...can't quilt for awhile....I had just bought a lot of Kona Bay Asian design fabric to make some Asian quilts along of course with the stash I have.....It made me think about where my husband could donate my fabric if something happened to me so these are great suggestions......

mhollifiel 03-22-2017 06:01 AM

What a tough decision to make for both of you. I send you my heartfelt sympathy.

While donations to local guilds and/or charities makes sense, they are all run differently and accountability/guidelines will surely vary. I have an outside the box suggestion. I am an avid charity quilter and I belong to the Assistance League of the Triangle. The Assistance League is a national organization with high accountability standards and we make our money through sales in our thrift shops. We do NOT allow members to "cherry pick" donated items and have strict fiscal and operational guidelines. Seems we are always getting ready for some kind of audit. BUT we make every cent count! Our funds are spent locally. One of the ways we use generated funds is annually in Operation School Bell. We bought new school clothes including a coat and a well fitting pair of new shoes for 1700 local children this year. Additionally we provide scholarships to promising. needy new graduates as well as those returning to school in order to change jobs. Last year we provided grants totaling $137,000 to 27 students. We work with women in crisis support groups all over our three county area with funding and personal time. Basically any children or women in crisis situation can, and likely will, receive help from us and we provide "shoe leather" as well as money. This is far from a comprehensive list but we fund these programs through donations to our thrift shop, cash donations, and grant writing. All donations are tax deductible. Every hour of labor involved in operating the shop is VOLUNTEER including the manager. AL will also typically pickup and pack up which may be of great help to you. I suggest you google either local charity thrift stores or the Assistance League if you are interested in my suggestion. If you need help narrowing this down, you may PM me.
There should be an Assistance League or some other like charity group near you. I speak of them because I am knowledgeable and impressed by their high level of accounability. Believe me, my considerable stash will go to them. Otherwise, who knows how long it will take for the fabrics to ALL get put to work helping others. When they are sold (often to quilters at a great price), the money goes to meet immediate needs locally. The donation doesn't favor any one person and the earnings are spread wide to support needs in your community.

Wanabee Quiltin 03-22-2017 06:01 AM

All charitable groups like Salvation Army and Goodwill will take your stash. There are many pet and Hospice charity stores that would love it also. I have taken many sewing machines that I found very cheap to these various charity groups. Good luck. Also in reading some of these posts, you could ask them to help you with the postage fees. I recently sent huge boxes of fabric to South Dakota to the Indian Reservation and the USPS said if I sent boxes that were really heavy and large-like 50+lbs-it costs way cheaper than you think it would.

Lady Diana 03-22-2017 06:23 AM

Check with your closest quilt guild...ours holds a sale with half the proceeds going the donor and half to the guild.

klswift 03-22-2017 06:55 AM

Does your local high school still have 'home ec' classes? My area does not, but the city parks and rec program offers several sewing classes. By donating to these groups, you are helping kids to learn to sew. Also, check with your local girls scout council or other youth groups. Donating to a local quilt guild is a wonderful thing and they may use the material to make many wonderful quilts for local charities, but, I tend to look to teaching kids to sew.

salemrabbits 03-22-2017 07:00 AM

so sorry you are needing to make decisions on passing on your wife's treasures. If you are in upstate NY--I could help you with finding several organizations making charity quilts for hospitals, homes, cancer centers-etc. several quilting groups around my area. I'm sure if you are within driving distance the travel to pickup could be arranged as well so you didn't incur costs to ship.

newbee3 03-22-2017 07:22 AM

most charities like linus and also doner will take donations check with your local church and local quilt guilds in your area

carolynjo 03-22-2017 10:25 AM

I just donated the last of my stash to the local 4-H club here and they were thrilled to get it and sent me a tax receipt for 2018. Try the 4-H club. Sorry for your problems with your wife's declining health and needed rise in care.