Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   looking for charity to donate wife's quilting stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-charity-donate-wifes-quilting-stash-t286956.html)

Rose Bagwell 03-22-2017 12:17 PM

If your wife belonged to Guild that would be the best solution, they might know, or if the High School has a sewing class. Some churches have charity sewing we do. Also some of her sewing friends might know of places you can donate it too.
Sorry for your loss.

Carol34446 03-22-2017 02:08 PM

So sorry your wife can no longer quilt. It is not easy getting old. God Bless you both in your move and may it be a happy one.

luvstoquilt 03-22-2017 02:47 PM

So kind of you. My thoughts are with you and your wife. If you were in Illinois I could send you to about 10 areas that would take and use all fabric. We sew for veterans, children, hospitals, battered women, etc. I would call local quilt shops and/or churches. Was your wife in a quilt guild? Maybe even a quilter she knew could help you. Wishing you all the best.

twoxover 03-22-2017 03:58 PM

an idea-if assisted living is in your/hers future...why not there? I bet there are folks who would love the opportunity to sew/quilt.

maviskw 03-23-2017 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 7788533)
Also, check with church groups. Some of them have quilting groups as well.

I know of at least four church groups near me who meet weekly to make charity quilts. My friend told me they waste nothing.

Sewnoma 03-23-2017 05:25 AM

In my area there is a store exactly for this - they take donations of sewing supplies and resell them, the proceeds go to benefit the local senior center. I'm in CA so that's not specifically helpful to you, but there might be something similar in your area?

willferg 03-23-2017 05:47 AM

I help coordinate our local chapter of Project Linus, and we receive donations like this all the time. Whatever we can't use, we pass along to thrift shops that welcome sewing supplies or give them to other groups like us that sew for other charitable purposes.

Jordan 03-23-2017 07:01 AM

So sorry to hear of your wife's health. Thoughts and prayers with you. You might want to contact a couple of local quilt shops and they may be able to help you. I know when I moved that I contacted a quilt store and they gave me a name of someone that did quilts for the "Linus Projects". I called and a lady came by my house and picked up 2 big garbage bags filled with fabric and she was very grateful for the donation. She said her church had a group of ladies that made quilts for a couple of homes that had foster children. Good luck on your search.

judykay 03-23-2017 08:18 AM

I have donated to the local seniors center, they make quilts for charity and use there own fabric. Every time I have donated it was like giving a personal gift, they were so happy .

jarenie 03-23-2017 10:08 AM

Quilts of Valor is always in need of RED White and Blue fabric. They make quilts to cover the Veterans