Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for feed back. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-feed-back-t195032.html)

ArtsyOne 07-18-2012 01:39 PM

You did a great job on your first quilt - I love your color choices and the three-dimensional look. As for the balling up of the bobbin thread, did this perhaps occur at the beginning of a stretch of sewing? That's when it always happens to me and it's because I haven't pulled taught both the top and bottom threads to keep them out of the way. The suggestion of the poster above to lay out several spools of thread to audition them is a good one.

serenitybygrace 07-18-2012 01:44 PM

A walking foot is like a presser foot except it helps the sewing machine sew over the top of the quilt as the "feed dogs" feed the quilt from the bottom. Depending on the type of machine that you have, you may be able to get a universal kind of walking foot that would work on your machine. A walking foot usually works well if you are quilting in relatively straight lines. I hope this helps.

liking quilting 07-18-2012 05:26 PM

I found cleaning the bobbin case area really good every time I need to put in a new bobbin of thread is very important with my machine. I agree with the other's comments about making sure machine is properly threaded too. Best of luck; don't lose heart now, looks like you're off to a good start.

Pat625 07-18-2012 06:43 PM

WOW!! This is your FIRST?? Great job!

BKrenning 07-18-2012 08:25 PM

If I understood correctly, this is a Fun & Done quilt-as-you-go quilt. When my thread balls up on the back side, I haven't pulled my bottom thread up to the top if I'm quilting or the little thread tail got snarled up in my stitching if I am piecing.

Latrinka 07-19-2012 05:06 AM

Wow, very pretty! Can't believe it's your first!

feline fanatic 07-19-2012 05:37 AM

Is the bobbin thread balling up when you are quilting?? The bobbin thread will ball up if you don't bring it up to the top of the quilt when machine quilting. You need to take one stitch then pull your top thread so it pulls your bottom (bobbin) thread up to the top. Then take several teeny tiny stitches to lock your threads in place then slowly increase your stitch length to normal size.

Pieces2 07-19-2012 06:18 AM

I also would use a med/dark gray thread for quilting. When quilting, you may need to adjust the pressure on your pressure foot or adjust your tension. Be sure to pull your backing taught as you quilt. And sew slowly with a walking foot. Be sure to pull the bobbin thread up as you begin sewing each time you start.

helenquilt 07-19-2012 07:17 AM

You may get balls when you first start if you do not bring your bobbin thread to the top and hold it.

sweetlummi 07-19-2012 07:58 AM

It is as I go . Some one gave me a old book this was in it look good to start.

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5375694)
80/20 just means a batting that is 80 percent cotton and 20 percent polyester. usually Hobbs Heirloom brand.
I just bought a pkg of it today. also are you trying to do free motion quilting by chance? or doing regular machine stitches for quilting the quilt? sounds like you are doing quilt as you go, block by block....