Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for feed back. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-feed-back-t195032.html)

sweetlummi 07-18-2012 11:28 AM

Looking for feed back.

2 Attachment(s)
Ok calling all quilter to let me know. It ok I'm looking for all bad and good to help here. This is my first quilt sorry the pic came out funny. I would like help on some thing here.
1. Why is my bobben thread getting all balled up under here.
2. When your doing the quilt part with all this colors when color thread do you us this look funny to me.

KSellers 07-18-2012 11:40 AM

Wow you did not start out with a simple pattern. The bobbin thread balled up is probably a tension problem. As far as thread color a light gray, or a verigated thread with colors in the quilt.

Tartan 07-18-2012 12:00 PM

When sewing thread gets messed up you are supposed to check TNT or tension, needle thread. If it is sewing fine in most places and you get thread nest at intersections, you can reduce the pressure on your walking foot. Of course that is assuming you are using a walking foot to quilt your straight lines? If not a walking foot does help. I like to use a stitch on my machine that makes a slightly wiggly line rather than a straight line because straight lines are hard to keep straight. :(As stated for thread...a medium gray thread would be good or a varigated in the colours in the top. The quilt batt can cause problems if it's thick as well. I like a 80/20 blend batt for machine quilting.

Dina 07-18-2012 12:01 PM

I think I would go with a light gray also. Experiment with your tension on a small "sandwich" until you get it the way you want it. I like your quilt!

Dina

sweetlummi 07-18-2012 12:18 PM

Oh thank you . I think it may help , But it is a nice pattern I like doing it . It fast and all in one you get done with the block you are done lol

LadyElisabeth 07-18-2012 12:21 PM

I usually use light grey or beige unless the back is dark and then I try to match the bobin thread to the dark back.

sweetlummi 07-18-2012 12:24 PM

wo you when over my head on this 80/20 and the walking foot is that what I'm stepping on to make it sew. Sorry I do not know all the lengo . I have just started and all the info I have pick up is from this web page see how good you all are. Ya I really had a time try to get it straight.

CountryHouseQuilting 07-18-2012 12:35 PM

When I have bobbin issues, first thing I do is take it out, look for loose threads and "dust balls". I clean it all out, oil if needed. Then I move on to make sure the bobbin is wound right. Sometimes bobbins get wound to loose and can cause problems, or if they're close to being emptied they can get a little weird. Once all that's done I recheck my tension and reload the bobbin. Usually before I actually quilt on my quilt I make a practice sandwich and test out my tension and threads on it. Then when I'm happy I go to my actual quilt.

As for thread suggestion, sometimes when the pattern has a lot going on, I opt for clear thread. It doesn't detract from the design. It can be a bit tricky to work with though. A varigated thread might be the way to go. Either a grey or brown. Would love to see it on here when it's finished!!

jaspersu 07-18-2012 12:53 PM

1. For me, if thread is balling up it usually means the machine isn't threaded correctly. I just rethread first, and see if that takes care of the problem. If that doesn't fix it, I take the bobbin out and check for lint or fluff or a snip of thread in the works.

2. Unroll some diffent colors of thread onto the surface of the quilt and see how they look. This is going to be down to personal preference. I prefer lighter, more neutral thread, because I am never really trying to call attention to my quilting stitches.

nativetexan 07-18-2012 01:23 PM

80/20 just means a batting that is 80 percent cotton and 20 percent polyester. usually Hobbs Heirloom brand.
I just bought a pkg of it today. also are you trying to do free motion quilting by chance? or doing regular machine stitches for quilting the quilt? sounds like you are doing quilt as you go, block by block....