Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for ideas for an artisan fair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-ideas-artisan-fair-t244296.html)

profannie 04-01-2014 05:40 AM

Looking for ideas for an artisan fair

Hi everyone,
After quilting for two years and making 15 quilts for friends and family members, I have now enough confidence in my quilting abilities to show my work at an artisan fair. I have apply for one that will be held on November. The committee wants to meet me and evaluate my work at the end of April. So I have a few weeks in front of me to prepare a small inventory of articles I would like to sell.

I would love to get input from the ones who have some experience on this subject. Here a few informations about the specifics:

-The artisan fair is held annually, at the end of November (so it's for Christmas shopping). It get about 3000-4000 visitors. It`s the only fair of this kind in the year. It`s indoor, and it`s well advertised. The cost for a table is 200$ for three days.

-Quilting is really not a popular hobby in my area. Fabric is hard to find and cost a lot (16-17$/yard).

-Making money is not really the real motivation about going to this fair. Basically, I want my work to be out of my sewing room, seen by other people than my kids or my DH. For somebody who was not even able to sew five years ago, making quilt is quite an accomplishment (I see it more like pride than vanity)

I'm a mom of two kids and I work part time, so my sewing time is precious. I don't want to make tons of articles that I don't care sewing just for making up an inventory. So I was thinking about concentring my production on baby and kids items. Juvenile fabrics is what appeal me the most anyway.

For the evaluation committee, I already have three baby quilts done. I plan to make these article:
-a stroller quilt (20 X 30) with ties
-a taggie quilt (12 X 12)
-a young artist portefolio (for kids to carry their papers and pencil)
-a pencil roll
-a quilted toddler apron
-a quilted bib

What do you think of this inventory? Is there enough variety? Any other idea? For a 3000-5000 visitors 3 days show, how much of each one would you make? (I know it`s a question the committee will ask me, and I have really no idea!)

Any thought would be appreciated!

Tartan 04-01-2014 05:51 AM

It sounds like you are going for the right market. It is just before Christmas and Grandma's and Mom's may buy for Christmas presents. Things geared to children usually sell better but I have not had much luck in my area. I didn't do my usual Nov. Craft sale for that reason. I wish quilts and sewn things sold better. A couple of other things might be the crayon totes or soft activity books.

bjgallent 04-01-2014 06:08 AM

How about pillowcases. There are so many cute fabrics. Mug rugs or hot pads would be nice too.

dakotamaid 04-01-2014 07:09 AM

Candle mats for christmas.

AnnieSue 04-01-2014 07:50 AM

The bowl hot pds for the microwave. Remember, no polyester thread!

ManiacQuilter2 04-01-2014 08:31 AM

All the ideas are great that have been mention above. Just be sure all of your items are squeaky clean with no loose threads or lint. Just think of it as bring a resume to a job application. I haven't done any shows recently but I never paid that much. Smaller items will sell much better than larger quilts. All you have to do is page thru on the internet and see items for sale. Good Luck.

Doggramma 04-01-2014 09:41 AM

When I was at the coffee shop I just saw the cutest carseat quilt, just the right size to cover the the whole baby with a nice overhang. It had minky on the back and plainer blocks on the front. And this little guy had a "doll" that had different things hanging off of it attached with tabs. Things that a baby likes to play with such as baby keys, a nook, etc. It was darling.

noveltyjunkie 04-01-2014 10:09 AM

Christmas decorations- you can search in here and see some designs.

joyce blint 04-01-2014 10:16 AM

Don't forget bags, purses and totes.

PenniF 04-01-2014 10:41 AM

Table toppers....place mats.....pot holders.....kleenex holders....??