Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for a new machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-new-machine-t94163.html)

racerh 01-27-2011 07:22 AM

Thank you all for the information - this is a lot to digest! I did hear from a friend who has a Viking Diamond that people who have the newer Janome's are not happy.

She also suggested looking at a Baby Lock - any opinions on them?

thanks again!

mic-pa 01-27-2011 07:29 AM

Janome would be my choice, however your diealer is important, for help and reliability. Try several brands out to see what you wuld like best.

racerh 01-27-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
Well, I am a Bernina girl. But you might have to go used to stay in budget. My 640 was a steal at 5000 with the BSR, embroidery unit and walking foot. I am not a fan of drop-in bobbins, but some here can't stand the front-load bobbins. You just need to try all of them you can and get what you really feel most comfortable with. Have fun shopping!

I think the Aurora 440 comes with BSR or is an option and is around 3k - a bit more than I wanted to spend but certainly not out of the question.... thanks!

kat112000 01-27-2011 07:38 AM

Lovin my new Janome 7700!!

I have a Mega Quilter on a frame and am not too crazy about it. Wouldn't mind selling it.

Maia B 01-27-2011 07:38 AM

I'm very pleased with my Babylock Quest Plus, and the Pfaff Smarter C1100 Pro, Janome 6600, and Elna 7300 Quilting Queen are all similar for $1000-1500. Also consider the Brother Laura Ashley NX-2000 if you can do without the built-in dual feed. It comes with many accessories. The Horizon has a lot of fans on this board, too. Read reviews on patternreview.com and post about the machines her on QB. Test drive them with you own samples!!!! Only buy from a dealer who you feel confident would resolve any problems you might have.

dmyers 01-27-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Janome is absolutely wonderful brand for reliability. Pfaff is my second choice for a quilting machine if you want the IDT. (Don't like Janome's dual feed at all!)

can I ask why? I was looking into this machine just for that. I own Pfaffs/Viking

dmyers 01-27-2011 07:59 AM

This is just my opinion: I own 7570 (1999) & 2027 (2005) Pfaff, ones that were made in Germany. Nothing against China, I myself am Korean. But I feel there is a big difference in the workmanship now. I love both my machines, not a single problem with my 7570, I've only taken it in once for cleaning. I was lucky to find the 2027 brand new still sealed just this past weekend which I'll use for classes and traveling. Piecing is a breeze with the Pfaff's IDT foot (comparible to a walking foot, but not so bulky), it can sew multiple layers and any thicknesses without hesitation. I also have a Viking Mega Quilter, I bought the Viking 18x8 and everyone raved about how they had upgraded from the Viking MQ and kept it for piecing. I like that it has a longer arm than my 7570 but I'm not impressed with the piecing, so I only use it for my bindings. Then I have a Bernina 180 (2000), I bought that just for my embroidery machine, which has done a great job and have yet to take it in. I haven't given it far shot for sewing/piecing because it's set up just for embroidery. I did have to use it while my 7570 was in for cleaning and I wasn't disappointed. Good luck with your machine hunt!

Brenda 01-27-2011 08:07 AM

I have a 16 year old Viking. Would't take a farm in
Texas for it. It is a computer machine. Never had
a problem with it. I use it on nearly a daily basis.
Yes I love sewing. One of its best features is the
ability to move the needle left and right. You are
able to get that scant quarter inch seam with accuracy.
I have friends who have come over for lessons. They
just love it to. Brenda from Wadesville In

Brenda 01-27-2011 08:07 AM

I have a 16 year old Viking. Would't take a farm in
Texas for it. It is a computer machine. Never had
a problem with it. I use it on nearly a daily basis.
Yes I love sewing. One of its best features is the
ability to move the needle left and right. You are
able to get that scant quarter inch seam with accuracy.
I have friends who have come over for lessons. They
just love it to. Brenda from Wadesville In

AliKat 01-27-2011 10:11 AM

I love my Pfaff's.

However, if I were buying again, I would list my wants and needs then compare it to the machines and see which 'fit' my list best for the price ... and which I bonded with the most.

Personally, the bonding is more important to me.

ali