Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for a new machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-new-machine-t94163.html)

racerh 01-26-2011 02:28 PM

Hi,

I used to sew many years ago and am thinking about getting into quilting and NEED a new machine, my Singer is old and tired. I would like to keep the cost under $2500 and have been researching Janome, Pfaff, and Bernina models. Any strong opinions about any of these brands and suggestions on models to buy? Is it better to go used or new?

thanks in advance!

Quiltforme 01-26-2011 02:31 PM

My strong opinon is the janome 7700 just my own personal opinion I am getting mine in april show specials going on. I like the features it has everything I have wanted all in one!

Suzan Larrimore 01-26-2011 02:42 PM

You should look at the Husqvarna Viking models as well. I have one and wouldn't trade it for anything.

auntmag 01-26-2011 02:43 PM

I bought the Janome 7700,(Horizon) 3 months ago and love it. It was around $2500 at that time.

Tropical 01-26-2011 02:50 PM

I bought my Pfaff in 1997 and love it. I did just have it at the Pfaff repair shop for a once over and it runs just like new. That is the only time it was looked at in over 14 years. I don't know how true this is, but the repairman told me that his father started the business in the mid fifties and always sold Pfaffs. But now the son closed the dealership part of the business because of the poor quality of the Pfaff machines since Viking bought them out and they are no longer made in Germany and that it is very hard for the dealers to do business with the company. When I asked for a recommendation for a new embroidery machine I was told Janome. He specifically told me more than once and quite emphatically to never get rid of my machine because it is one of the better ones made in Germany. I was also told by a Viking dealer that the Pfaffs aren't made as well as they used to be made in Germany. So anyway, you may want to do some research on the Pfaffs before chosing that brand. I am so glad I bought mine when I did. Good luck to you. Again, I don't know how true that is but wanted you to be aware of it.

anniec55 01-26-2011 04:14 PM

If I were buying a new machine in that price range, the JANOME 6600P would be the dream machine!!!! I work at a Store she handles Janome, Viking/Huskavarna, Brother, in fact I have seriously considered trading my Brother embroidery mach back for one, but can't bring myself to do that, my mom bought the embroidery machine for me the year before she passed away.... so it has certain sentimental attachment as well.

mtkoldra 01-26-2011 04:16 PM

hope about Juki? it only does straight stitching but has long arm.

suezquilts 01-26-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Suzan Larrimore
You should look at the Husqvarna Viking models as well. I have one and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Just bought a Mega Quilter today never owned a Viking, picked it because it was nearly industrial and thats what I need.

only does straight stitch and you could free motion quilting on this.

scowlkat 01-26-2011 05:38 PM

Janome is absolutely wonderful brand for reliability. Pfaff is my second choice for a quilting machine if you want the IDT. (Don't like Janome's dual feed at all!)

Kas 01-26-2011 10:18 PM

Well, I am a Bernina girl. But you might have to go used to stay in budget. My 640 was a steal at 5000 with the BSR, embroidery unit and walking foot. I am not a fan of drop-in bobbins, but some here can't stand the front-load bobbins. You just need to try all of them you can and get what you really feel most comfortable with. Have fun shopping!