Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   looking for quilting novel for GD (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-quilting-novel-gd-t14135.html)

Nita 12-05-2008 04:48 AM

I'm giving my grand daughter a quilt for Christmas and wanted to give her a quilting novel to go with it. Although she is only 12, her reading level is way beyond that of a 12 year old. I do not want to go the route of Elm Creek series. Does anyone have a suggestion of a nice story she might enjoy? I'd love something about a grandmother, grand daughter and quilting. Thanks for the help ~ Nita

Elizabeth A. 12-05-2008 05:35 AM

I've been looking through our old conversations looking for something that might suit your needs. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/6259.page Loretta talks about this one. I'm certain you could get more info from her.

I read a book to my daughter called "A Quilt Story" it isn't a novel just a little story.

annmarie 12-05-2008 08:25 PM

There is a darling fairy tale book about quilting but I just can't think of the name right now. It's about an older lady who makes quilts & gives them to deserving people. The king demands one but she won't give him one until he is nicer. Does this ring a bell with anyone? There is also a companion book of quilts with patterns for all the quilts mentioned in the story.

SulaBug 12-05-2008 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by annmarie
There is a darling fairy tale book about quilting but I just can't think of the name right now. It's about an older lady who makes quilts & gives them to deserving people. The king demands one but she won't give him one until he is nicer. Does this ring a bell with anyone? There is also a companion book of quilts with patterns for all the quilts mentioned in the story.

I have that book & it is a very good one. The name of it is,
"The Quilt Makers Gift", story by Jeff Brumbeau, pictures by Gail de Marcken. It is published by Pfeifer-Hamilton Publishers, Duluth Minnesota. I hope this helps you to find one, on the internet. I think she will love it.

Cheryl

Carol W 12-06-2008 04:18 AM

Thank you for the information.

My grandkids would like those books! :)

annmarie 12-06-2008 05:15 AM

That's the one Cheryl. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Nita, if you go to Amazon.com & type in the name of the book, you'll find the story book & the quilt book too. It's really a great book for young & old alike.

Would make a nice xmas gift for any quilter too.

collettakay 12-06-2008 07:46 PM

I did a search on amazon for "quilt books" and then selected the kids option at the side and there are an amazing amount of books. I was really surpised. Check it out.

Bernadette Harwood 12-08-2008 04:58 AM

How about The Quilt of Life, by Mary Tatem, Barbour Publishing, Inc. It is a lot of little stories with a devotional about the quilts of life. Excellent book, I received two for gifts and have given many out.

Nita 12-08-2008 05:22 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I have The Quiltmaker's Gift on my bookshelf of Grandma books;It is a wonderful story, but my GD has read it and I was looking for something that is more of a novel and less of a picture book. The devotional book looks like one that I might enjoy, but not quite what I had in mind for GD. I have ordered "The Quilt" by Gary Paulson, as recommended by Barnes & Noble, though the age suggestion for it was 9 - 12. It is a chapter book, as I wanted, but I think it may be a bit young for her ...... I won't know until I see it. so, I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has any. Thanks. Nita

GailG 12-10-2008 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Nita
I'm giving my grand daughter a quilt for Christmas and wanted to give her a quilting novel to go with it. Although she is only 12, her reading level is way beyond that of a 12 year old. I do not want to go the route of Elm Creek series. Does anyone have a suggestion of a nice story she might enjoy? I'd love something about a grandmother, grand daughter and quilting. Thanks for the help ~ Nita

Funny you should mention the Elm Creek books. I want to start reading them, but want to begin at the beginning. I have a thing about starting in the middle and then having to go back and find the first in the series. Does that make sense?? It seems that I could get a list of the books. It didn't seem that the list I found on line was in any order. I'm kinda crazy when it comes to series. I usually try to find all of the books before I begin reading them. Am I nuts?